Set top box is often unresponsive to remote control for 10+ minutes after starting TV then works OK
tcg_in_pok
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had Verizon FIOS installed last week. Unfortunately, the set top box is often unresponsive to the remote control for 10 or more minutes after turning on the STB and TV. But then it works fine. Other times we only have to wait several minutes for the STB to start responding. I'm able to manually change channels using the arrows on the front of the STB but that is very inconvenient. I've checked all connections and reset the router and STB without success. Any suggestions for resolving?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Set top box is often unresponsive to remote control for 10+ minutes after starting TV then works
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have more than one box?

Does it happen on all?

Is the box open or is it in a cabinet behind glass?

Can you try moving it around to see if that helps?

Have heard being too close to some TVs can cause interference.

View solution in original post

Re: Set top box is often unresponsive to remote control for 10+ minutes after starting TV then works
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have more than one box?

Does it happen on all?

Is the box open or is it in a cabinet behind glass?

Can you try moving it around to see if that helps?

Have heard being too close to some TVs can cause interference.

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

"the set top box is often unresponsive to the remote control for 10 or more minutes after turning on the STB and TV."

My STB's have been ON for years unless there is a power or VZ interruption.

Why don't you try leaving it ON 24/7 ?

0 Likes
tcg_in_pok
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just 1 STB that is in the open and located near TV (SONY Bravia).

I experimented with the STB in different locations. STB became responsive to remote control when about 6 ft away from TV.

Thanks for your advice!

0 Likes
tcg_in_pok
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion. I left the STB on but after I turned the TV on, the STB became unresponsive to the remote control again. It turns out the TV was causing interference and moving the STB about 6 ft away solved the problem.

0 Likes