Setup help with eero and gigabit, TV
Lamchop1681

Hi,

Having problem with on-demand, skip and freezes. Tech came to house and check all connection and said nothing wrong. Called Verizon and they said my router might be too old, it’s a Quantum. Anyway, I have the older STD, QIP7100-1 and -2. Both skips and freezes after Verizon pushed new codes 2 weeks ago to these box. Basically nothing that can do and asked me to upgrade my entire Verizon. Equipments to the latest, cost like $300 and $60 extra monthly charges. Not sure why since it’s their equipment no longer supporting their new codes. Anyway I am not spending all that but I do want to know if this might help.

so here’s my current setup:

ONT Ethernet to the router supporting gigabit internet.

ONT Cox to TV boxes

i have an Eero 6 behind the Quantum router.

what I like to setup and get rid of the Quantum since that might be the culprit of the on demand issues.

connect the incoming Ethernet from ONT to my Eero as the router, remove the Quantum, then get a Moca adapter and connect Ethernet from Eero to Moca, the Moca Cox to TV box.

Do I still need to chat with Verizon tech to stop Cox and go Ethernet? Or it’s already there?

Thanks

Frankie

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Setup help with eero and gigabit, TV
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Lamchop168 wrote:

Do I still need to chat with Verizon tech to stop Cox and go Ethernet? Or it’s already there?

If you want to get rid of the Quantum router and use the eero wire like this...

ONT > ethernet > Eero WAN

ONT > coax > splitter > set-top boxes and MoCA adapter. 

Eero LAN to MoCA adapter 

Basically just put the MoCA adapter in the same place as the current Quantum router. Take the router's coax and connect it to the MoCA adapter and connect the Eero LAN to the MoCA adapter. This will create the MoCA network for the set-top boxes. 

View solution in original post

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Lamchop168 wrote:

Hi,

Having problem with on-demand, skip and freezes. Tech came to house and check all connection and said nothing wrong. Called Verizon and they said my router might be too old, it’s a Quantum. Anyway, I have the older STD, QIP7100-1 and -2. Both skips and freezes after Verizon pushed new codes 2 weeks ago to these box. Basically nothing that can do and asked me to upgrade my entire Verizon. Equipments to the latest, cost like $300 and $60 extra monthly charges. Not sure why since it’s their equipment no longer supporting their new codes. Anyway I am not spending all that but I do want to know if this might help.

so here’s my current setup:

ONT Ethernet to the router supporting gigabit internet.

ONT Cox to TV boxes

i have an Eero 6 behind the Quantum router.

what I like to setup and get rid of the Quantum since that might be the culprit of the on demand issues.

connect the incoming Ethernet from ONT to my Eero as the router, remove the Quantum, then get a Moca adapter and connect Ethernet from Eero to Moca, the Moca Cox to TV box.

Thanks

Frankie

You need the quantum router in the chain to get DVR, On Demand and channel info. Sounds to me like you might have a bad ONT if ALL boxes are having issues, or possibly a bad splittter. Have you had the Quantum router long? Look here for an Idea about how to do a similar setup:

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-a-combination-of-my-own-netgear-nighthawk-router-M...

Lamchop1681

Thanks for the reply. I don’t use DVR, just the free on demand for archived shows. From what I’ve seen in this forum, they have use Ethernet directly to own router, then use Ethernet from the own router to a Moca to convert the signal to Cox to the tv box. I’ve heard quite a few people who did this with success but it’s first time for me so I had questions.

folks that didn’t have Ethernet coming in probably not gigabit I presume. I’m already gigabit so I have a ethernet coming into the Quantum router, then Cox to the tv box. I want to eliminate  the Quantum router because I think that’s the issue with the freezing of on demand. So my questions are:

first, Do I need to call Verizon to tell them I am using Ethernet only so they can stop Cox and use Ethernet? Or because I already have Ethernet coming in, I don’t need to call.

Second, when using Moca, since I have 2 boxes, do I need 2 Moca, o e for each STD? Or I can just use a splitter and split that to each std?

thanks

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Lamchop168 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I don’t use DVR, just the free on demand for archived shows. From what I’ve seen in this forum, they have use Ethernet directly to own router, then use Ethernet from the own router to a Moca to convert the signal to Cox to the tv box. I’ve heard quite a few people who did this with success but it’s first time for me so I had questions.

folks that didn’t have Ethernet coming in probably not gigabit I presume. I’m already gigabit so I have a ethernet coming into the Quantum router, then Cox to the tv box. I want to eliminate  the Quantum router because I think that’s the issue with the freezing of on demand. So my questions are:

first, Do I need to call Verizon to tell them I am using Ethernet only so they can stop Cox and use Ethernet? Or because I already have Ethernet coming in, I don’t need to call.

Second, when using Moca, since I have 2 boxes, do I need 2 Moca, o e for each STD? Or I can just use a splitter and split that to each std?

thanks

You need the Verizon router to get On Demand as far as I know. The Fios router should have BOTH coax and ethernet going to it. Coax alone can't carry gigabit speeds. Usually the ONT feeds a splitter with coax, that splits to the Quantum router and the main fios box. The ONT also sends ethernet to the Quantum router, from there you can send it where you need it.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Lamchop168 wrote:

If you want to get rid of the Quantum router and use the eero wire like this...

ONT > ethernet > Eero WAN

ONT > coax > splitter > set-top boxes and MoCA adapter. 

Eero LAN to MoCA adapter 

Basically just put the MoCA adapter in the same place as the current Quantum router. Take the router's coax and connect it to the MoCA adapter and connect the Eero LAN to the MoCA adapter. This will create the MoCA network for the set-top boxes.