Skipping channels while surfing - please don't just say "use favorites"
Koons1
Enthusiast - Level 3

All answers to the question about how to skip channels one does not want to see while flipping around always lead to "set up favorites" as an answer

In the mind-boggling and pretty close to useless set-up menus, I see no way to use favorites except on the channel guide itself. Can someone have the mercy to articulate for me what steps to take to utilize a favorites block as a means to control channel selection while moving about and not just on the programming grid?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Skipping channels while surfing - please don't just say "use favorites"
MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3
Not sure if you are referring to being able to use the up and down arrows on your remote to only see the channels you want to see or if you are referring to being able to only see the channels you want to see on the grid. I will try to mention both.

For using the up and down arrows to only see the channels you want, you need to press the right arrow key on your remote. the tv genres and filters help screen will appear. hit ok. the filter screen will now appear. select the channels you want to view. for instance, you can pick to view on HD channels or only subscribed channels. After you select, these are the channels that will appear when you use the up and down channel buttons.

for the grid, you can set it up to view only subscribed channels, HD, your favorites, etc.
go to menu, settings, television, last viewed guide state, enable.
then hit guide, options, and select the category to view. these are the channels you will see on the grid. you can change the category anytime by going back to guide then options.
if the power goes out or you have to reset the STB, this will reset to all channels. if you select subscribed channels, it will still show VOD channels.

Hope one of these helps.
0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@MiMeQu wrote:
For using the up and down arrows to only see the channels you want, you need to press the right arrow key on your remote. the tv genres and filters help screen will appear. hit ok. the filter screen will now appear. select the channels you want to view. for instance, you can pick to view on HD channels or only subscribed channels. After you select, these are the channels that will appear when you use the up and down channel buttons.

I don't think it's this hard or limiting.  If you have the guide set to show your favorites (1 or 2) rather than all channels, then using the channel up or down button will only go to favorite channels.  You can always go to a channel that is not in the favorites list by entering the channel number using the number key pad.

0 Likes
MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3
I have our channels set to Favorites, but when I simply use the channel buttons, it scrolls through all the channels because I don't set the filter as I described.

It is my understanding that the guide and the channel surfing are separate features and thus you can filter out the channel surfing with the right arrow feature and you can filter out the guide by activating the last viewed guide state.

Koons, try it out and see if this is what you were asking about. Hopefully this helps you out.
0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

MiMeQu, when the guide is set to Favorite 1, I also flip through the Favorite 1 channels.  To make this happen, all you have to do is go to Menu > Settings > Favorites > Flip by Favorites and select Favorites 1 (or All, which is what you must have set,  or Favorites 2).  This is the setting that controls what channels are flipped through when using the channel up or down button.

0 Likes
shells44
Enthusiast - Level 2

This answer should be easier to find since manuals no longer exist. Menu>settings>favorites>flip by favorites 1 or 2 or all.  Had to go back 10 years for the answer? Really? 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes