Sony TVs and Fios Black Screen
Bh251

I have 6 TVs in my house and 2 of them are Sony’s. The other 4 TVs work perfectly with fios. The 2 Sony TVs constantly have the screen when watching cable go black for a quick second. If you watch Netflix or any app on the Sony there are no issues. It is obviously a connection issue between the Sony and the fios feed. 

I have changed the boxes and hdmi cables. Had techs out. Spoke to Verizon and Sony and both companies just play the software of each other. Is there anyone that can help? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Sony TVs and Fios Black Screen
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Bh25 wrote:

Sony X900H Series 75" 4K (2160p) UHD Android Smart LED TV with HDR (2020 Model ) Model: XBR75X900. This one and the same in 65 inches. Switched out the cable boxes and the hdmi cables twice already. 

I switched the boxes to feed at 1080 and it stopped having issue but that should not be solution when I know the tv is 4K. Not the biggest issue since nothing is truly 4K from fios right now anyways but all other TVs work but the Sonys on that setting. 

I have the 85" version of that TV and have no issues at all. Sounds like you have the video set to auto in the video options menu on the TV and it isn't playing well with the 2160 output of the Fios box. To be honest the Sony does a better job of upscaling than the Fios box does so you are better off using 1080 from the Fios box unless you are watching 4K content. Are you on a mini or a VMS unit? You could also try going into the service menu on the Fios box, changing the resolution to 2160 30fps, saving that and seeing if it helps. Also if you are on a mini using WiFi, it is known to be unreliable. You might also want to check this, when the Fios box is set to 2160:

HDR

HDR is automatically enabled for the native apps. When you start playing HDR content, a small HDR icon appears in the picture settings menu. Once you start playing HDR content, some of the settings change automatically, including the Brightness, which increases to 'Max.' We recommend leaving these settings to their default settings in HDR.

For HDR to work from external devices, the 'Enhanced Format' option usually has to be enabled from the HDMI Signal Format menu for the input you are using. Older devices may have compatibility issues if this option is left enabled, so it is recommended to only enable this setting for devices that require it.

If you find HDR content too dim, you can make it brighter by using the 'Vivid' Picture Mode, and by setting Local Dimming, X-Tended Dynamic Range, and Advanced Contrast Enhancer all to 'High'.

When displaying HDR content from streaming sources with subtitles, the subtitles can sometimes cause the screen brightness to fluctuate considerably, and there can be blooming around the subtitles in dark scenes. If this bothers you, we recommend decreasing, or even disabling the local dimming feature.

Also check this link for some recommended settings for your TV:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900h/settings

View solution in original post

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Bh25 wrote:

I have 6 TVs in my house and 2 of them are Sony’s. The other 4 TVs work perfectly with fios. The 2 Sony TVs constantly have the screen when watching cable go black for a quick second. If you watch Netflix or any app on the Sony there are no issues. It is obviously a connection issue between the Sony and the fios feed. 

I have changed the boxes and hdmi cables. Had techs out. Spoke to Verizon and Sony and both companies just play the software of each other. Is there anyone that can help? 

Do you mean the image randomly drops out only on the Sony TV's? Do you have all the video options set to auto in the Sony Video menu? Have you tried switching boxes on the Sony TV's? Are the HDMI cables High-Speed certified? Is the Fios box set to 2160 in the Fios Video menu? Have you tried another external source like a DVD player?  I have a Sony and don't have any issues with it at all, so there must be something going on there.

Bh251

Yes the Sony tv image goes black when watching fios. I have changed all of that with a fios tech. 

Everything you mentioned has been done. Fios claims it’s a feed issue between Sony and fios and Sony claims fios has to update their boxes so the box and the tv can communicate better. Blame game. It’s very frustrating. 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Bh25 wrote:

Yes the Sony tv image goes black when watching fios. I have changed all of that with a fios tech. 

Everything you mentioned has been done. Fios claims it’s a feed issue between Sony and fios and Sony claims fios has to update their boxes so the box and the tv can communicate better. Blame game. It’s very frustrating. 

What model Sony TV do you have? Which cable box is giving you the problems?

Bh251

Sony X900H Series 75" 4K (2160p) UHD Android Smart LED TV with HDR (2020 Model ) Model: XBR75X900. This one and the same in 65 inches. Switched out the cable boxes and the hdmi cables twice already. 

I switched the boxes to feed at 1080 and it stopped having issue but that should not be solution when I know the tv is 4K. Not the biggest issue since nothing is truly 4K from fios right now anyways but all other TVs work but the Sonys on that setting. 
0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Bh25 wrote:

I have the 85" version of that TV and have no issues at all. Sounds like you have the video set to auto in the video options menu on the TV and it isn't playing well with the 2160 output of the Fios box. To be honest the Sony does a better job of upscaling than the Fios box does so you are better off using 1080 from the Fios box unless you are watching 4K content. Are you on a mini or a VMS unit? You could also try going into the service menu on the Fios box, changing the resolution to 2160 30fps, saving that and seeing if it helps. Also if you are on a mini using WiFi, it is known to be unreliable. You might also want to check this, when the Fios box is set to 2160:

HDR

HDR is automatically enabled for the native apps. When you start playing HDR content, a small HDR icon appears in the picture settings menu. Once you start playing HDR content, some of the settings change automatically, including the Brightness, which increases to 'Max.' We recommend leaving these settings to their default settings in HDR.

For HDR to work from external devices, the 'Enhanced Format' option usually has to be enabled from the HDMI Signal Format menu for the input you are using. Older devices may have compatibility issues if this option is left enabled, so it is recommended to only enable this setting for devices that require it.

If you find HDR content too dim, you can make it brighter by using the 'Vivid' Picture Mode, and by setting Local Dimming, X-Tended Dynamic Range, and Advanced Contrast Enhancer all to 'High'.

When displaying HDR content from streaming sources with subtitles, the subtitles can sometimes cause the screen brightness to fluctuate considerably, and there can be blooming around the subtitles in dark scenes. If this bothers you, we recommend decreasing, or even disabling the local dimming feature.

Also check this link for some recommended settings for your TV:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900h/settings

Bh251

Best answer ever. I will check all of this. 

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

Those pictures are kind of hard to see, but they came from the link I posted. If you need help with the Fios Service menu, let me know.

Bh251

Put the hdmi in a different port and played with the settings and I think I got it to work. Thanks so much!!

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Bh25 wrote:

Put the hdmi in a different port and played with the settings and I think I got it to work. Thanks so much!!

Did you go into the port settings and make sure they were set to enhanced? Makes a big difference if the source is trying to send 2160 or HDR to the TV.