Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring the phone you love. OR get iPhone 13, on us. Online only. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 1.31. Buy now
end of navigation menu
Sound, but no picture.
bossfan55
Enthusiast

Hi, all - I have the Fios TV One STB, a Samsung TV and an Onkyo receiver.  My setup was box to receiver through HDMI, receiver to TV through HDMI, and it always worked fine. Recently, the sound would be fine but there would be no picture.  I would pull the power, reconnect, and it would be fine.  I then developed other problems with the STB so they sent a new one.  The picture/no sound problem existed from the start and unplugging doesn't even help.  I ran an HDMI directly to the TV and the picture worked, so the STB seems to be fine.  I also tested all the receiver inputs and outputs using a Google Chromecast, and everything worked, so I assume the cables and receiver are all good.  I've seen other posts about this, and there is apparently a handshake issue and the suggestion was to change the output from the STB to 1080i.  I did that, but it didn't help.  Technical support had no suggestions other than to run the HDMI

directly to the TV.  Anyone have any other suggestions?

Second issue - with the STB connected directly to the TV, I lose my surround sound since that comes from the receiver.  I ran an optical cable from the TV to the receiver, and that works. The only problem is that I would like the receiver to be always on, since when the receiver turns on there seems to be a delay for the sound to come through.  Unfortunately, programming the TV One remote to control the receiver volume also controls the receiver power.  Is there any way to have the remote just control the receiver volume but not the power?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Sound, but no picture.
clem21
Super User
Super User

@bossfan55 wrote:

Unfortunately it’s not an option. The only options are 4:4:4 and 4:2:2. 


Ok, been through the entire owners manual for your receiver and the only other thing I can see is changing the receiver input to 4:2:2. Other than that, there are several references to "some HDMI sources may not work with this receiver". So I hate to give up, but you may have found one of those devices. I'd still get support to push the APR 7.10 update to you. You never know, it might resolve the issue.

View solution in original post

Re: Sound, but no picture.
clem21
Super User
Super User

@bossfan55 wrote:

Hi, all - I have the Fios TV One STB, a Samsung TV and an Onkyo receiver.  My setup was box to receiver through HDMI, receiver to TV through HDMI, and it always worked fine. Recently, the sound would be fine but there would be no picture.  I would pull the power, reconnect, and it would be fine.  I then developed other problems with the STB so they sent a new one.  The picture/no sound problem existed from the start and unplugging doesn't even help.  I ran an HDMI directly to the TV and the picture worked, so the STB seems to be fine.  I also tested all the receiver inputs and outputs using a Google Chromecast, and everything worked, so I assume the cables and receiver are all good.  I've seen other posts about this, and there is apparently a handshake issue and the suggestion was to change the output from the STB to 1080i.  I did that, but it didn't help.  Technical support had no suggestions other than to run the HDMI

directly to the TV.  Anyone have any other suggestions?

Second issue - with the STB connected directly to the TV, I lose my surround sound since that comes from the receiver.  I ran an optical cable from the TV to the receiver, and that works. The only problem is that I would like the receiver to be always on, since when the receiver turns on there seems to be a delay for the sound to come through.  Unfortunately, programming the TV One remote to control the receiver volume also controls the receiver power.  Is there any way to have the remote just control the receiver volume but not the power?

Thanks in advance!


What is the input on the receiver that the Fios box was plugged into set to? Is it set to accept PCM, or Dolby Digital? What brand and model of receiver is it? Is the Fios box set to stereo, Dolby Digital or Passthrough in the audio options? It is very likely an issue with settings between the Fios box and the receiver, so lets work on that. Also does your TV allow volume control on the optical out? If so enable that then you won't have to use the Fios remote to change volume for the system. As far as I know there is no way to have the Fios remote only control volume of a device. That is all dealing with picture with no sound, but you say both problems in the post so, if you have sound, but no picture through the receiver, it could be a resolution problem between the Fios box and the receiver, or an HDCP problem between the box and the receiver. What HDCP level is the receiver? It needs to be at least 2.0 to work with the newer Fios boxes. If the receiver is new enough, then you need to look at the video settings on the input you are trying to use for the Fios box in the receiver. When you first plug the Fios box into a device, it scans to see what resolutions the device is capable of, then sets itself to the highest resolution acceptable. If it senses 4K from the receiver, it will set itself to 2160 out. That might conflict with what the TV is set to, resulting in no picture. Again please send me the make and model # of the receiver and TV.  I'll try to see what settings are possible. Also you could try removing the HDMI cable between the receiver and TV with both powered up and CAREFULLY plugging it back in after a minute or so to see if it recreates a new handshake. I'd also look at what the chromecast is set to, to see what settings are working with the setup.

Re: Sound, but no picture.
bossfan55
Enthusiast

The Fios box was plugged into the Cable/set top box input on the receiver, which is an Onkyo tx-sr353.  Unfortunately I'm not at home now, but I'm pretty sure the receiver is set to accept PCM.  As for the Fios box output, I'll have to check what the audio option is set for.  I can look this evening and supplement.  Unfortunately the TV doesn't allow the volume control on the optical out - that would've been ideal.

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
Re: Sound, but no picture.
clem21
Super User
Super User

@bossfan55 wrote:

The Fios box was plugged into the Cable/set top box input on the receiver, which is an Onkyo tx-sr353.  Unfortunately I'm not at home now, but I'm pretty sure the receiver is set to accept PCM.  As for the Fios box output, I'll have to check what the audio option is set for.  I can look this evening and supplement.  Unfortunately the TV doesn't allow the volume control on the optical out - that would've been ideal.

Thanks for your help!


Have you tried this:

Resetting the main unit
Use this procedure to reset all the receiver’s settings to the
factory default. Use the front panel controls to do this.
1 Switch the receiver into standby.
2 While holding down STEREO, press and hold
ÍON/STANDBY for about two seconds.
3 When you see RESET? appear in the display, press
SURROUND.
OK? shows in the display.
4 Press DSP to confirm.
OK appears in the display to indicate that the receiver
has been reset to the factory default settings.
Important!
• If the Standby Through is not set to OFF, you may not be
able to initialize the unit.

Also look at the deep color setting in the Onkyo. you might want to try toggling it off, then on to see what happens. Again is the issue no picture, or no sound through the receiver. I'm confused right now.

Thanks.

Found this if no audio from receiver in the quick settings menu:

HDMI (HDMI Audio)
Specifies the routing of the HDMI audio
signal out of this receiver (AMP) or through to
a TV (THRU). When THRU is selected, no
sound is output from this receiver.
AMP
THRU

Re: Sound, but no picture.
bossfan55
Enthusiast

Thanks for the detailed explanation - I will try it when I get home.  One question - will resetting the unit wipe out my DVR and programming?  Probably not a big deal, but just want to know what to expect.

The problem is sound, but no picture.  The sound through the receiver is fine both with the HDMI from the STB and the workaround through the optical cable.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Re: Sound, but no picture.
clem21
Super User
Super User

@bossfan55 wrote:

Thanks for the detailed explanation - I will try it when I get home.  One question - will resetting the unit wipe out my DVR and programming?  Probably not a big deal, but just want to know what to expect.

The problem is sound, but no picture.  The sound through the receiver is fine both with the HDMI from the STB and the workaround through the optical cable.

Thanks again.


The reset is for the receiver, not the Fios box.

Re: Sound, but no picture.
clem21
Super User
Super User

@clem53 wrote:

@bossfan55 wrote:

Thanks for the detailed explanation - I will try it when I get home.  One question - will resetting the unit wipe out my DVR and programming?  Probably not a big deal, but just want to know what to expect.

The problem is sound, but no picture.  The sound through the receiver is fine both with the HDMI from the STB and the workaround through the optical cable.

Thanks again.


The reset is for the receiver, not the Fios box.


Ok, so we have a video through the receiver issue. Try the reset on the receiver first, and be sure you disconnect the optical from the TV temporarily. Also look at the output settings in the Fios box: Main Menu > Settings > Audio & Video > Video Settings> Video Format, and try 1080I first, then move the cable from the Fios box to the TV to the receiver cable input. If that works try 2160P. I'm assuming we are using a VMS 4100 box not a mini right?

Re: Sound, but no picture.
bossfan55
Enthusiast

Ah - misunderstood.

0 Likes
Re: Sound, but no picture.
bossfan55
Enthusiast

Correct - 4100 box.  I'm going to print all of this out and try it when I get home.  I really appreciate all of the time you're spending on this.

0 Likes
Re: Sound, but no picture.
bossfan55
Enthusiast

So, I reset the receiver (great instructions - thanks).  Still no picture.  Then I set the output to 1080i, but still no picture.  I also tried unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable between receiver and TV but no luck.  Also, the HDCP level for the receiver is 2.2.  

My goal is to have the picture on the TV and the audio from the surround sound speakers connected to the receiver.  So, when the above attempts didn't work, I went back to what I had tried before - HDMI from STB to TV (HDMI 1 input), and optical cable from TV to receiver.  I also have an HDMI from receiver to TV (HDMI 2 input) to watch my Chromecast, which is connected to the receiver through one of it's HDMI inputs.  I then programmed my Fios TV One remote to the Samsung TV for video and the Onkyo receiver for audio.  I hit the power button on the Fios remote and the TV turns on, the receiver turns on, sound comes out of the surround speakers through the receiver, the picture appears briefly, and then the TV switches to HDMi 2 so, of course, no picture.  I'm ready to pull what's left of my hair out.

Here is one thought I had - what if I run Chromecast to HDMI 2, run STB to HDMI 1, unplug HDMI cable from TV Out port on the receiver, run optical cable from TV to receiver, and program Fios TV remote to Samsung TV for video and Onkyo receiver for audio - I wonder if that will get me where I want to be?  I'll give that a shot in the morning.

As always, thanks for your help with this.

0 Likes