Streaming issues where the router goes off line after a couple minutes when viewing a movie
Zollner

I have a problem where I can not stream any movies without the network falling off line after a couple minutes into the movie.

I have had a couple different routers 2.4 and 5G that I have tried.  I have had a FIOS technician out to increase my network speed to the router.  Things are still not working as they should.

From talking with the technician he stated that the signal from my router to the TV would be better if I could hard wire the router to the smart TV.  My issue there is there's no network port on the Insignia smart TV so the router has to be connected wirelessly.

I can not believe I'm the only FIOS customer with this issue.  Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Streaming issues where the router goes off line after a couple minutes when viewing a movie
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I assume you are using a streaming service a LA Netflix?

Do you have another wireless device you can try and stream from?

Do you have any other internet issues?

If you have an android device, download an app called WiFi analyzer.

Run it near your TV. It can tell you strength of WiFi signal.

Can also help diagnose if there is interference and recommend the best WiFi channel to use.

0 Likes
Re: Streaming issues where the router goes off line after a couple minutes when viewing a movie
Zollner

Thanks for getting back to me.

I only stream on Amazon and Pandora.  Pandora is not an issue.  I have no problems playing Pandora using streaming.

When I stream videos on Amazon (which I have purchased and are in my library) the video plays for around 5 to 10 minutes then the screen freezes and I get a circular curser in the spinning in the middle of the screen before it loses connection with the router. 

I have had a technician out last week who checked the router strength which is well over the minimum both inbound and outbound.

I'm in contact with Verizon and will update them today that I'm still having the issue even though a technician came out, I have replaced the 5G Quatum router with a new router setting my speed back to 2.4.

Let's hope tech support can reset something that will give me great bandwidth.  FYI, this only started when I upgraded the router to the new 5G router.  Never happened with my old equipment.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I didn't see if you said if it happens on other devices or just your TV.

If you have a phone or other device via wifi, run test to speedtest.verizon.net.

Try it both wired and wireless.

That will show what your connection to Verizon.

If that is not equal to what your plan is, then that is an issue Verizon needs to address.
Wifi can be affected by a number of things.

Depending on where you live (apartment, single family home with a negihbor nearby) you can get interference that causes wifi issues.

0 Likes