Switching to Verizon FiOS (with TiVo boxes) from DirecTV
KCWolfPck

I am currently giving serious thought about leaving DirecTV after 2 decades.

I currently have DirecTV Premier package and run the HS-17 Genie2 server with 5 Genie Minis (2 are 4K). Overall, I have no real complaints with the service other than the pricing. I call every year or so and get good discounts, but I am growing tired of having to do so. I do use AT&T wireless, so streaming to mobile, data-free is a good perk. What’s kept me with DirecTV for so long is NFL Sunday Ticket. However, there are other options for purchasing now, and I maybe content with just the RedZone channel anymore.

If I were to leave DirecTV after all of these years, I would be switching to Verizon FiOS TV. As I already have Verizon FiOS internet, I would save considerable money by switching. Rather than renting 5 set-top boxes at $12 per month each, I would be purchasing a TiVo Bolt VOX and 4 TiVo Mini VOXs.

I would love to hear from anyone who has recently made a similar transition to see if there were any regrets, or would have done something differently.  I would also love to hear any advice on steps to take to ensure the transition is as painless as possible.

0 Likes
Re: Switching to Verizon FiOS (with TiVo boxes) from DirecTV
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can't say much about DTV vs TiVO.

One thing is that with any cable card device, you will not access to any on demand programming.

0 Likes
Re: Switching to Verizon FiOS (with TiVo boxes) from DirecTV
KCWolfPck

Yes....the lack of On Demand is a small price to pay to not have to use (or pay rent for) Verizon’s set-top boxes.  

0 Likes