TV One always in DVR mode
JW410
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a TV One Mini set top box. I did not have DVR in my monthly service until I recently got a free two-month trial. It worked fine until a few days ago, when it seems to always be in DVR mode. When I turn the set on in what is supposed to be "live TV" mode, the show can be stopped and started using the row of three buttons on the remote just below the top (on-off) row. These three buttons are the play/pause, FForward, and Reverse buttons. This works without having pressed the record button for that show. The problem is that when the TV is in this mode, the picture quality is reduced. Instead of playing correctly when the aspect ratio is set to "set by program" on the TV, it plays in a reduced format that requires setting the aspect ratio to "zoom," which reduces the picture quality. This happened sometimes when playing back a recorded program on the DVR, but shouldn't happen when watching "live TV." I tried rebooting the set top box, with no change. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: TV One always in DVR mode
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JW4 wrote:

I have a TV One Mini set top box. I did not have DVR in my monthly service until I recently got a free two-month trial. It worked fine until a few days ago, when it seems to always be in DVR mode. When I turn the set on in what is supposed to be "live TV" mode, the show can be stopped and started using the row of three buttons on the remote just below the top (on-off) row. These three buttons are the play/pause, FForward, and Reverse buttons. This works without having pressed the record button for that show. The problem is that when the TV is in this mode, the picture quality is reduced. Instead of playing correctly when the aspect ratio is set to "set by program" on the TV, it plays in a reduced format that requires setting the aspect ratio to "zoom," which reduces the picture quality. This happened sometimes when playing back a recorded program on the DVR, but shouldn't happen when watching "live TV." I tried rebooting the set top box, with no change. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Try unplugging the HDMI cable from the box, wait a minute and plug it back in, all with both the TV and box on. If that doesn't work,  try: menu>settings>audio and video>video settings>video format and make sure at least 1080i is chosen. Also check TV type and make sure 16x9 is chosen.

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JW4 wrote:

Try unplugging the HDMI cable from the box, wait a minute and plug it back in, all with both the TV and box on. If that doesn't work,  try: menu>settings>audio and video>video settings>video format and make sure at least 1080i is chosen. Also check TV type and make sure 16x9 is chosen.

JW410
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think I finally solved the problem by resetting my TV (not the FIOS box) to its original settings and then reconfiguring all of the options as they had been. It took a while to get everything right. 

Can someone confirm whether with DVR service, it should be possible while watching live TV and not recording to press the pause button on the remote and then restart the show? At this point, you're watching a delayed show, even though it isn't being recorded and saved.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JW4 wrote:

I think I finally solved the problem by resetting my TV (not the FIOS box) to its original settings and then reconfiguring all of the options as they had been. It took a while to get everything right. 

Can someone confirm whether with DVR service, it should be possible while watching live TV and not recording to press the pause button on the remote and then restart the show? At this point, you're watching a delayed show, even though it isn't being recorded and saved.

@JW4 wrote:

You can pause live TV, but you must have the "enhanced " DVR service, not basic DVR.