Re: The Weather Channel
FlyingCat1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I never watched TWC when it was on in the first place so I don't miss it. It started to morph from a channel that actually delivered weather into another reality channel.  I got my weather from my local TV providers and that was sufficient.  Verizon dropped TWC for the same reason that DirecTV did: Comcast/Universal as charging too much for a channel that could be replaced with other options. I suspect if Comcast/Universal lowered their carriage fee TWC would be restored on both FIOS and DirecTV

0 Likes
plumbago
Enthusiast - Level 3

What CRobGauth??? You really don't get  it! Do you work for Verizon to set us all straight? The point FrankC is making is that Verizon insists that "EVERYONE" prefers getting weather information from phones and computers, so they no longer need the Weather Channel. So if that is true, then "EVERYONE" gets their news and music from their phones and computers and no longer need to watch CNN, MSNBC, Fox news or any music on TV. So why don't they get rid of all of those channels too? Verizon's thinking is absolutely crazy. 

As the librarian mentioned in an earlier post, not everyone can afford to buy computers and smart phones. Not everyone understands or has the interest in technology. They want to push a button on their remote control and watch TWC! Those people are not even able to write their complaints here. Why? Because they do not know how. Because they do not own a computer. Because it is NOT easy to access this forum, first you need to find the Verizon site, then you need to create a username and password and then search to find TWC forum, then you can finally write something. Those NON-Techie people are not represented here, and many others are not on this forum because it is a pain to get here. And calling Verizon about TWC has been worthless too, they have no answer other than telling people phones and computers are better than TV.

I get around the internet well and I can get some weather from my tablet, but nothing compares to the quality of TWC. I don't enjoy getting weather from my tablet so I don't usually go there. But we need to see what is brewing in the tropics, etc. AccuWeather, as I'm sure Verizon realizes by now, completely sucks. I am so tired of getting up in the morning with no Weather Channel to start my day. I am so tired of not having a weather channel to go check on the storms that roll in everyday. We enjoyed TWC and it provided the information to keep us safe and to help us plan. Bring it back! We can't afford to switch to another service until our contract is up. We like everything about our Verizon service except for this stupid, stupid Weather Channel decision. 

Added note: I tried to send this and it wouldn't send and my note disappeared. Some sort of authentication error it said. So thankfully I copied what I wrote before hitting Post, and was able to paste my note back into a new blank message window. Now if that had happened to someone who knew very little about computers, they would have gotten frustrated and given up. The same thing happens with looking up weather on a computer. They may try, but become frustrated and give up when they can't navigate the web very well. Heck, the house could be blown off the foundation before they get the computer turned on. Not a safe solution to drop TWC.

P.S. - AccuWeather sucks

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't work for Verizon.

And yes I do know that not everyone has other means of getting weather.

But from what I have read and heard from Verizon, it was a business decision.

They felt it got to the point that the cost of providing the service was not worth it given the low viewership.

Just like analog cell phone service (and not just Verizon wireless).
A few years ago, all providers dropped it. Why, becuase the number of users did not warrant the cost of keeping it.

Yes, some people were forced to go out and buy new cell phones because their old ones would no longer work.

But these things happen.

0 Likes
shp
Enthusiast - Level 1

I want the Weather Channel BACK!!!!  Not everyone uses their phones or computers to access the weather, that is a rediculous statement made by Verizon.  Customers like myself pay up to $300 per month, the least thing you could do is get The Weather Channel back... Just renegotiate the deal and get it done and don't give excuses that it's for the benefit of the customer, as you can see your customers WANT the channel!  AccuWeather is a joke.  We are expecting horrific thunderstorms right now with gusts up to 70mph in Northern NJ and AccuWeather is talking about the beautiful weather in Los Angeles... Really???  AccuWeather is a joke!

Phoenix461
Enthusiast - Level 2

Due to the lack of TWC access, I just went through the most horrific weather incident EVER!  A thunderstorm was clearly forming outside - I observed this using the "look out the window" method of weather prediction - but it seemed off, somehow. The sky, the clouds....it just didn't feel right. It got progressively worse until it was raining so hard I couldn't see the house across the street. Then the hail started. It sounded like someone was throwing buckets of gravel against the windows. I looked out to see golf ball to baseball sized hail. Instinct told me to grab my tablet, cellphone and get to the basement. On the way, I could hear glass smashing outside. All the while I'm receiving text  messages from friends about what's going on in their area AND telling me what's going on in mine.  That's how I found out that there had been a tornado warning in my area (Cockeysville, MD). My tablet was useful only for light in the dark basement since the power had gone out. No internet and no, I do not have a smartphone.

I realize that the Weather Channel can't prevent bad weather but it sure would have been nice to check the Weather on Demand or TWC to find out exactly what was going on to take the necessary safety measures. I mean, before the storm is right over my house!! Yes, I admit I was one who was willing to give Accuweather a chance at first but, Fios, this dropping TWC thing is an epic fail when something serious is going on. PLEASE bring it back!! TWC saves lives. 

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Phoenix46 wrote:

Due to the lack of TWC access, I just went through the most horrific weather incident EVER!  A

<snip>

My tablet was useful only for light in the dark basement since the power had gone out. No internet and no, I do not have a smartphone.

I realize that the Weather Channel can't prevent bad weather but it sure would have been nice to check the Weather on Demand or TWC to find out exactly what was going on to take the necessary safety measures. 

A couple of suggestions and comments:

My county has a public notification system that uses text, email and phone calls.  It is much more reliable than TWC ever was.  It also notifies me about non-weather emergency events, such as a madman running around with a gun (yes, it's happened where I live).  Check and see if your local government has such a system; many do these days.

Note that once the power went out, TWC would have been just as inaccessible as the Internet.  You could have accessed TWC's web page on your tablet before the power went out and gotten good, local real time info.  Probably even faster than TWC, as you wouldn't have had to wait for "local on the 8s."

When all else fails, a weather radio is a great notification system that doesn't require any subscription fees.  Some are even hand crank powered so you don't have to worry about batteries.

If you live in an area where weather knowledge is key, you should have multiple ways to get weather information.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
sandybeth
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree with you....I want The Weather Channel back.  I can't stand AccuWeather.  I like all the different stories and the weather reports on The Weather Channel.  I would pay more monthly to have it back.

weather channel
vhswcs

well, apparently, we're close to a tornado warning, but Pasipanny NY is Okay BEACUSE THAT'S WHAT THE CRAPPY ACCUWEATHER IS SHOWING. 

calling to cancel, today, over it! 

0 Likes
Ladyg0
Enthusiast - Level 1
I, too, NEED the Weather Channel. I use it for planning motorcycle trips for a group of riders and Accuweather does NOT provide the detailed information I need. I am going to contact Cox Communications to transfer my services (tv, telephone and Internet) as soon as my contract expires. For $200+ a month, I should be able to get detailed weather reports on the television and not have to resort to the Internet.

Any comments, Verizon, or is this just a screw you to your customers?
0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Ladyg0 wrote:

Any comments, Verizon, or is this just a screw you to your customers?

FYI, these forums are primarily peer-to-peer.  The Verizon moderators sometimes escalate specific types of customers issues to support and keep discussions civil, but Verizon never responds to topics here.  You will not get a response from Verizon here.

Good Luck.

0 Likes