Trying to enable mobile remote - "no stb found" (STB ip address?)
jimcpl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

We just got FIOS triple play yesterday, and phone, tv, and internet are working, so I'm trying to adjust my environment after coming from a different carrier (Cox).  We have two STBs, one digital/HD one and the other a DVR one.

One of the first things I encountered was that I noted that was that the Actiontec router defaulted to 192.168.2.x subnet, so I switched that to 192.168.0.x, as I have a bunch of machines, including a number of VMware guests that have static IPs, for work/testing.

Then, I noted that the two STBs apparently were getting IPs of 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.103, which unfortunately conflict with IPs for my work/test machines, and it is difficult to change the IP addresses because the software on them is tied to the IPs at installation.

So, I figured out how to change the STBs IP addresses, and changed them to 192.168.0.200 - 192.168.0.203, and was happy that after we power cycled the STBs, they picked up the new 192.168.0.20x IP addresses.

I now wanted to get the Android mobile remote app working, so I enabled the mobile remote widget for one of the STBs, and when I try to register the app, it keeps saying "no STB found".  Also, the instructions say that "STB 1" or "STB 2" should show up on the tv, but that never happens.

I suspect that the FIOS mobile remote app may be hard-coded to look in the .100 IP address range, and so it can't find the STBs, since I changed their IP addresses.

Does anyone know if this is the case, and is there anyway to get this working without setting the STB IP addresses back to .100, etc.?  I really can't do that, as it would break a ton of stuff that I have, which I can't change.

Thanks,

Jim

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Trying to enable mobile remote - "no stb found" (STB ip address?)
jimcpl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

For the record, I think that I figured this out:

- It looks like the IP address range from .100 - .150 is some kind of reserved IP range, that mobile remote searches through for STBs.

- I had originally changed the STB IPs from .100 - .103 (for STB1 and STB2) to .200 - .203, so I went into the router setup and changed them to .147 - .150 instead.

- After we unplugged the STB (only tried one so far) and then powered it back on, the Android mobile remote app was able to find the STB (the non-DVR one thus far).

Cool :)!!

Jim

View solution in original post

jimcpl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

BTW, I just notice the "DVR' part of the FIOS app (on Android) *does* seem to work (can see captured stuff), which seems kind of strange, i.e., why would the DVR part work, but the mobile remote won't?

Jim

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@jimcpl100 wrote:

Hi,

BTW, I just notice the "DVR' part of the FIOS app (on Android) *does* seem to work (can see captured stuff), which seems kind of strange, i.e., why would the DVR part work, but the mobile remote won't?

Jim

I'm not sure but the DVR part may be using the same function as the web interface in myverizon does.  Can you see the DVR stats when you login to myverizon?  That said, the remote control part needs to be on the same subnet as the STBs.  You might want to confirm that the coax and ethernet functions in the Actiontec are bridged properly.  In another thread a used had changed IPs and because of that his remote control app would not work.  Your non-standard network will likely break other things like Caller ID on the STB.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Mobile remote has to have both devices on the same network, so if your mobile phone isn't connected to the home wifi, then it won't work.  It can't simply be connected to the home wifi either, it has to be connected to the wifi that the set top boxes are connected to. So it needs to be connected to the actiontec.

You should also double check your configuration and match it here.   This table will tell you the things that will work and not work based on your configuration.

0 Likes
jimcpl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

- It looks like the IP address range from .100 - .150 is some kind of reserved IP range, that mobile remote searches through for STBs.

- I had originally changed the STB IPs from .100 - .103 (for STB1 and STB2) to .200 - .203, so I went into the router setup and changed them to .147 - .150 instead.

- After we unplugged the STB (only tried one so far) and then powered it back on, the Android mobile remote app was able to find the STB (the non-DVR one thus far).

Jim

bricker4ever

When I log into the ActionTec router and view My Network, I see 6 STB's even though I only have 3 of them.  I changed the IP address range from .100 to .103 to .147 to .150, rebooted them and when they came back up, my Android app still does not see them. Neither do my iPhone/iPad's.  I have called Verizon support twice and they give me the runaround and tell me they are going to escalate, but then I never get a call back or resolution.  Is there something more that I need to do with the router?  Maybe the wifi connection?

@jimcpl100 wrote:

Hi,

Jim

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

bricker4ever,

Please go to your profile page for the forum by clicking on your name, and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Private Support Cases".
There you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@bricker4ever wrote:

When I log into the ActionTec router and view My Network, I see 6 STB's even though I only have 3 of them.  I changed the IP address range from .100 to .103 to .147 to .150, rebooted them and when they came back up, my Android app still does not see them. Neither do my iPhone/iPad's.  I have called Verizon support twice and they give me the runaround and tell me they are going to escalate, but then I never get a call back or resolution.  Is there something more that I need to do with the router?  Maybe the wifi connection?

I'm presuming you enabled the device remote control function on the STB by running the wizard, right?

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hi bricker4ever,

We hadn't heard back from you on your Private Support case. We hope you were able to find resolution to your issue.

As always, feel free to make a new post, and we can be sure to look into your issue. If you require further assistance, let us know, we're available for support around the clock.

Thanks,
Ali Adam

0 Likes