UAP-AC-LR as Access point w/ FIOS TV
BrianHarg
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good evening - newbie here so please be gentle... Not sure if this should be here (Internet) or over in the TV forum).  I have had the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR on my home network for years (since 2016) and all has worked really well (coverage area is great). I have full internet speeds that I have paid for on every device. I have recently started to try to use the iPhone FIOS app more and now the new Firestick FIOS app (which I am paying for and can't use - therefor the anxiety). I am consistently running into issues w/ being able to stream on the phone as well as firestick when connected to the wireless in my home. VZ support can reset things on their end (clear cache is what they said), but shortly after words, it does not connect again and I can't stream. I can get the menu's/guide info - and on the iPhone even use the remote to change channels. But I can't stream. I have the FIOS G1100 and have wireless running on one SSID.  But since it is in the basement, hardly anyone connects to it (but when I do - all the streaming works fine!!). Out of the G1100 I have an ethernet cable running to a switch that services several rooms in my house. At one of those locations, I have added the AC-LR w/ a different SSID - and that one serves the whole house really well - that is what we all connect to. Everything runs great off that (Apple TV, multiple devices, etc), but not the FIOS streaming services. Any thoughts/ideas on why? VZ does not think the Ubiquiti is really setup as an access point - but what else can it be to get the internet connection?  Is there some setting I am missing on either the AC-LR or the G1100???  Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: UAP-AC-LR as Access point w/ FIOS TV
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you say Firestick, are you referring to the Amazon Firestick?

I do know Amazon Firestick has compatibility issues with G1100 routers as seen by some other customers here. I can't confirm this is really the case, so I will try to help you de novo.

I assume Fios TV uses IP Multicasting to stream to devices. For IP Multicasting to work correctly, you need IGMP capable networking devices, namely the G1100, your switch, and UAP. G1100 should be IGMP capable. UAP-AC-LR, not sure, I am reading image Your switch needs to be at least IGMP-snooping capable, otherwise the IP packet is going to flood your network. Also, I am not sure whether G1100 is capable of acting as an IGMP qurier.

When you say you occasionally connect to the G1100 in the basement, do you mean connecting your Firestick to G1100's WiFi?

BrianHarg
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the reply!  Yes, I do mean the Amazon Firestick.  FIOS just came out w/ the streaming service - and the app for Firestick (and Apple TV).  I had to change my service plan to add the streaming device.  When I say I occasionally connect to the G1100 - I mean my iPhone (when I am in the basement).  When I directly connect to the G1100 wireless connection, it all works fine.  I do suspect the issue is what you pasted in the middle about the IGMP capable device.  I will try to investigate that some more.  I would have assumed more people had the UAP-AC-LR already running in their network and have tried to stream on iPhone/iPad and have had similar issues??  I have also posted over in the Ubiquity forums to see if they have ideas.  

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I do see some threads in Ubiquity's community regarding AC-Lite's IGMP issue. Many threads are over 3 years old, so maybe the problem has been fixed through a firmware update between then and now.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello. I have some updated information for you.

Fios TV streaming to Apple TV/Amazon Firestick/Firebox does not use IP multicasting. It uses IP unicast, and, for this reason, only two streams are allowable per VMS.

You need a VMS at home in order for the streaming to the Firebox to work. Do you currently have a VMS (set-top box) at home?

BrianHarg
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the update.  Yes - in fact I have two VMS boxes (and get to pay for them too)...  When I go to setting (in the FIOS TV app on the firestick) it can "see" them and asks if I want to stream off them - but I can't select them.  When they streaming is working - the settings still show the two VMS boxes - but it says I am streaming via "Uplync" and I do not need to select either.  

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

May you take some screenshots?

Also, the Ubiquity access point is not completely taken out of the equation yet. Streaming devices seem to require SSDP and UPnP to organize. IGMP can be thrown out for now since streaming does not use multicast.