Use my OWN M-Card?
SoNi67
Contributor - Level 1

I there a way to use my own M-Card in my HDHomerun Prime, instead of the Verizon one?

I want get an indentical M-Card from ebay and not pay the $4 monthly fee - Norfolk VA area.

The tech support said it won't have the Verizon firmware on it so it won't work, but I think that's a bunch of bull.

I was Cox customer previously and they charged only $2/mo for their cards.

Does anybody know what is the situation?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Use my OWN M-Card?
SoNi67
Contributor - Level 1

Update:

I did try to activate the new card. Techician took my numbers, but the system didn't activate it, because the card serial numbar wasn't in their database.

I did put a question in the FCC complains to see what is their oppinion about this issue. If they answer, I'll post it here.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
chomper87
Enthusiast - Level 3

I imagine you're master plan will be foiled when you call Verizon to activate / pair the M-Card. It may be due to firmware issue. However, they will probably see that you didn't order an M-Card from Verizon and ask where did you get it. Even if you somehow convince them (by lying) that you ordered the M-Card from Verizon, I'm sure they have a database tool where they can lookup the card and determine that the card that you bought on ebay definately did not come from Verizon and thus they might refuse to activate it or perhaps they activate it and charge you the $4/month.

Having said all that negative stuff, if you can get an MCard for$10 - $20 doesn't seem like a huge loss to try, perhaps you'll have some luck.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

If he gets them to authorize it they willl charge the monthly fee for renting it.

0 Likes
SoNi67
Contributor - Level 1

First of all, the law, for people like chomper87 that don't know what I am talking about:

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights

The fact that they don't accept customer M-Cards goes against the spirit of the original law that allowed creation of M-Cards in the first place.

Intent was to allow customers to bring their own devices in the network. CableCards didn't jsus appear because cable companies wanted them, but because FCC mandated their support.

I don't need to justify the provenience of MY DEVICES. Heck, Motorola makes the cards, how can Verizon ban their sale?

I found out that Comcast alows customers to bring their own CableCards (for TiVo and others similar devices) and they install the required firmware REMOTELLY.

Charging a monthly fee for "pairing" is also against the spirit of that law. I can see an one-time fee being resonable.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@SoNi67 wrote:

First of all, the law, for people that don't know what I am talking about:

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights

The fact that they don't accept customer M-Cards goes against the spirit of the original law that allowed creation of M-Cards in the first place.

Intent was to allow customers to bring their own devices in the network. CableCards didn't jsus appear because cable companies wanted them, but because FCC mandated their support.

I found out that Comcast alows customers to bring their own CableCards (for TiVo and others similar devices) and they install the required firmware REMOTELLY.

Charging a monthly fee for "pairing" is also against the spirit of that law. I can see an one-time fee being resonable.

Interesting.  I didn't know the FCC ordered a change in 2011 that allows you to use your own card.  But if you are gettting a Card make sure its NOT one from from Verizon, which they own, or they can charge you a rental fee.

0 Likes
SoNi67
Contributor - Level 1

I just bought one, identical with the one used by Verizon (Motorola M-Card) from eBay for $10, free shipping. Seller accepts returns for 60 days (I pay the shipping back).

I will file a complaint with FCC also, just to see their position in this matter.

On this "support forum" I don't see any recent postings by Verizon employees... sadly.

0 Likes
chomper87
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm very aware of cable cards and what they do and how they were brought into existence. Verizon isn't really blocking any sales of MCards. And as far as spirit of the laws are concerned, sure I'd agree with you. I'd like to buy my own cablecard and not pay a monthly fee.

0 Likes
SoNi67
Contributor - Level 1

@chomper87 wrote:

I'm very aware of cable cards and what they do and how they were brought into existence. Verizon isn't really blocking any sales of MCards. And as far as spirit of the laws are concerned, sure I'd agree with you. I'd like to buy my own cablecard and not pay a monthly fee.

That's not what you said before:

@chomper87 wrote:

...However, they will probably see that you didn't order an M-Card from Verizon and ask where did you get it. Even if you somehow convince them (by lying) that you ordered the M-Card from Verizon...

You implied that I woul dhave to hide from Verizon where I get my card. That's ridiculous, and sounded like you agree with verizon that they should block the use of external cards.

That's why I linked the FCC ruling from 2011, so people can educate themselfs before posting.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Disagree with your interpretation that not letting you use a cablecard you purchased goes against the spirit of the law.

For the link you provided, no where does it even begin to imply (IMHO) that providers have to let you use a card you purchased.

It just says that they have to let you use your own eqpt and can't charge you an extra fee. Matter of fact, it says that they must post rental fees.

0 Likes
SoNi67
Contributor - Level 1

@CRobGauth wrote:

Disagree with your interpretation that not letting you use a cablecard you purchased goes against the spirit of the law.

For the link you provided, no where does it even begin to imply (IMHO) that providers have to let you use a card you purchased.

It just says that they have to let you use your own eqpt and can't charge you an extra fee. Matter of fact, it says that they must post rental fees.

The actual text say:

"Use your own set-top box without extra charge.  FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5)(C). Your cable operator may charge you to lease a CableCARD or tuning adapter, but may not charge you an additional service fee for using your own digital-cable-ready television or set-top box."

1. It doesn't say that my set-up box EXCLUDES the CableCard. Actually, my set-up box doesn't work without a CableCard inserted, so a CableCard is a required functional part of my equipment. Obvious the intent of regulator was that "use" meant "use to view programs".

2. They MAY charge me to lease a card. It doesn't say "SHALL". It doesn't say they can exclusivelly use only leased cards. It actually just prohibits them for charging extra fees for my own equipment.

So, even if it is not "cut and dry", I feel that the original intent of providing CableCard devices was for us (customers) not being forced to lease Set Up Boxes. That would extend to CableCards, since they are a part of Set Up Boxes too.