Used to get OTA channels on tvs without a STB
chococat98

I don't know if anyone can provide some guidance.  On other TV's in the house we used to get OTA channels on those TV's without the set top box.  Suddenly when the tech came to add a second box to our bedroom the OTA channels on the other tv's went away.  All of our other TVs are HDTVs so that's not the issue.  I wanted to see if anyone has had experience with this and what did you do to get the OTA HD channels back on the tvs without the stb.  Thanks for your input.

0 Likes
Re: Used to get OTA channels on tvs without a STB
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you tried hooking up an stb to one of the connections you have to the TVs? Might be that he somehow disconnected the connections for the non stb TVs from the splitter.

I have 4 stbs and yet still can get otas with no issue.

0 Likes
chococat98

Thanks I'll have my husband try that and see if that might help resolve the issue.  You mentioned getting a splitter, I'm not savvy when it comes to a/v stuff but might that help with the tv's that don't have a stb to at least OTA channels? 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I assumed when you mentioned OTA, you were refering to local channels that you got via cable service.

If that is true, then there should be a splitter where cable comes in to the house. There should be multiple coax connections one for each room.

Find that and then see if tech may have discnnected them not knowing that you are using them to feed TVs without STBs. The reason he would have done that is that unterminated cables can cause issues.
If they were truly OTA, then STB should have no affect on them at all.

0 Likes