Using My Own Router With Fios and Keeping my TV working
Admiral78

I've had FiOS for 7+ years now. I have the standard black STB and the old Verizon router with the red ring at the front. I was able to get my new router up and connected on FiOS gig internet but I can't keep the TV working. I followed the steps from other threads of turning off DNHS (might have messed that up) and changing the IP address. When I plug the nighthawk router into the old Verizon router, the internet button will only slowly blink orange and I can't get my on demand to work. Is there something I'm missing to get my TV to work with my new router again?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using My Own Router With Fios and Keeping my TV working
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

First of all, the old "red ring" Actiontec routers should be removed from service as as soon as possible.  They have been out of support for years and no longer receive any updates, including security patches.

"Standard black" STB describes a lot of models.  Can  you be more specific?  If you can't find the model number, post a picture (note pictures must be approved by a moderator and may take some time to appear.)

If you have the latest fios ONE boxes, they require a Verizon router to be primary. You can't completely remove the Verizon router from your network.

It sounds like you might have followed old advice on how to turn the Actiontec into a MoCA bridge.  That won't help unless you've really old set-top-boxes.

If (strongly) suggest you upgrade to a supported Verizon router. Their supported routers are the G1100, G3100 and the soon-to-be available CR1000A.  Currently, you can buy a G3100 for $299 or rent it for $15/month.  G1100s can be found used online for $40 or less.  I don't know what the CR1000A will be priced at, or if the G3100 pricing will change when it comes out.  Some folk are concerned about how much longer the G1100 will be supported, but I have no direct information about that.  My best guess is it will last at least a year if not more after the CR1000A is fully released; but the schedule is up to Verizon.

Regardless of which Verizon router you select, you can then plug the NightHawk into one of it's LAN ports.  If all you care about is WiFI coverage, configure the NightHawk to be an access point.

If you give more information about how you want to use the NightHawk and what problems you're trying to solve with it, you might get better advice.

View solution in original post

Re: Using My Own Router With Fios and Keeping my TV working
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

First of all, the old "red ring" Actiontec routers should be removed from service as as soon as possible.  They have been out of support for years and no longer receive any updates, including security patches.

"Standard black" STB describes a lot of models.  Can  you be more specific?  If you can't find the model number, post a picture (note pictures must be approved by a moderator and may take some time to appear.)

If you have the latest fios ONE boxes, they require a Verizon router to be primary. You can't completely remove the Verizon router from your network.

It sounds like you might have followed old advice on how to turn the Actiontec into a MoCA bridge.  That won't help unless you've really old set-top-boxes.

If (strongly) suggest you upgrade to a supported Verizon router. Their supported routers are the G1100, G3100 and the soon-to-be available CR1000A.  Currently, you can buy a G3100 for $299 or rent it for $15/month.  G1100s can be found used online for $40 or less.  I don't know what the CR1000A will be priced at, or if the G3100 pricing will change when it comes out.  Some folk are concerned about how much longer the G1100 will be supported, but I have no direct information about that.  My best guess is it will last at least a year if not more after the CR1000A is fully released; but the schedule is up to Verizon.

Regardless of which Verizon router you select, you can then plug the NightHawk into one of it's LAN ports.  If all you care about is WiFI coverage, configure the NightHawk to be an access point.

If you give more information about how you want to use the NightHawk and what problems you're trying to solve with it, you might get better advice.