Using My Own Router with FIOS and TV
cabinlife1

newbie here, so sorry if my question has been covered, but I am confused with scrolling the threads trying to find answers. I want to replace the rented fios router with my new linksys ac2200.  The fios router has a cat6 cable as well as a coax cable. 

I want to return the rented router, since its wifi is pretty weak anyways as well as save a few bucks.

I understand that my new router will not support tv as it does not have a coax port.

My questions are:

If I purchase a moca adapter and place it at the router will that allow my two tv set top boxes to have the channel guide? I dont have dvr service.

will the set top boxes work without an adapter? I realize there will be no guide. 

Thank you

0 Likes
Re: Using My Own Router with FIOS and TV
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@cabinlife1 wrote:

My questions are:

If I purchase a moca adapter and place it at the router will that allow my two tv set top boxes to have the channel guide? I dont have dvr service.

will the set top boxes work without an adapter? I realize there will be no guide. 

Thank you

If you put MoCA adapter in place of router then yes the guides will work. Take a LAN port from your AC2200 and plug it into the adapter’s ethernet port. Plug the coax from the old router into the adapter. Then reboot your set top boxes. 

If you don’t have an adapter in place the boxes will still work with no guide or ondemand. Unless you have VMS, you will need the adapter for the IP client to work. Also the VMS probably won’t start up without an internet connection if it gets rebooted. 

0 Likes
cameronjones

I apologize in advance for doing such an annoying thing on a forum, but are you sure about that answer? I was hoping that this would be a longer discussion with other people confirming that it works. Also, can you give an example of the exact kind of moca adapter that would do this? Like the name of something on Amazon?

I already have a set up where my ONT Is connected directly into a Google Wifi, and then I have the FiOS modem connected into that. I’d love to be able to ditch the Verizon modem entirely of course.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is an extensive post about how to use your own router with Verizon STBs.

https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/m-p/851632#M6782...

Aas for exact moca adapter, just google. There are a number and if I recommend on that doesn't work or isn't available, then you will be back here.

Read reviews for any product you find before buying.

Verizon does sell them as well on their website.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes