Using a device to stream Amazon Prime on Fios TV
joelprof

I have a multi-room Motorola 72322 with my Fios TV. I just bought Amazon Prime and want to stream movies from my PC to the TV.

Can I buy any device, like a D-Link power line adapter and plug it in to the DVR and into the router? Will this work? If not, what will? I know the 72322 has an Ethernet connection on the back of the DVR.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using a device to stream Amazon Prime on Fios TV
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Newer laptops have HDMI plugs on them.  If yours does, like mine, then just plug one end in your laptop, and the other end in the back of your TV.  Pay attention to where you plug it in.  It will be labeled.  HDMI 1, 2, 3 etc....

After you plug it in, turn your laptop on and change the input to the label that you used to plug it in, and you are done.

If your laptop doesn't have an HDMI then you will have to use two sets of cables.  One is a DVI-HDMI cable.  one end will go to your laptop the other end to the hdmi as mentioned earlier, but that gives video only.   Then you will have to take an audio cable out of your headphone jacks and find a way to plug them into your TV RCA jacks.   They make Mini Jack to RCA cable converters, they are cheap

There is also a how to guide here, and also youtube video's

View solution in original post

Keyboards
Master - Level 3

AFAIK Verizon boxes are not capable of receiving Amazon Prime streaming.  You need a device that has an application that supports Amazon's service (like a BD player or other similar device - I have one from Vizio and it works fine).  Viewing from a streaming service on your PC is currently not supported.

The Ethernet connector on the back of the STB is not active as Verizon uses MoCA (sends IP over coax).

joelprof

Thanks.

Then how does Roku work since I've seen that this is OK for Fios?

So a D-Link 200 ethernet power line wouldn't work then, I guess?

Also, my DVR is an HD. Does that matter?

0 Likes
tgolds
Enthusiast - Level 2

Using ROKU is the best way. It connects via your wifi and then hdmi to your tv. ROKU allows you to use your Amazon Prime, HULU Plus, and many others to stream TV shows and Movies. I was wanting to purchase a movie on FIOS but it was not out yet. I turned on my ROKU and was able to purchase it on Amazon Prime. Very clear and sounds awesome. ROKU is about $99 to 149 depending on the model.

joelprof

Thanks.

Does the HDMI slot work on the back of the DVR? I understand know that the ethernet switch does not.

0 Likes
tgolds
Enthusiast - Level 2

No problem, you actually bi-pass the dvr completely. ROKU to TV HDMI.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@joelprof wrote:

Thanks.

Does the HDMI slot work on the back of the DVR? I understand know that the ethernet switch does not.

The HDMI on the box is an output, not an input.  The only "input" for video is the cable from the ONT.

Only way to do what you want is a device that gets mstreaming from your PC and is directly connected to your TV (as has already been stated).  There is no way to do what you want through the Verizon STB.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Newer laptops have HDMI plugs on them.  If yours does, like mine, then just plug one end in your laptop, and the other end in the back of your TV.  Pay attention to where you plug it in.  It will be labeled.  HDMI 1, 2, 3 etc....

After you plug it in, turn your laptop on and change the input to the label that you used to plug it in, and you are done.

If your laptop doesn't have an HDMI then you will have to use two sets of cables.  One is a DVI-HDMI cable.  one end will go to your laptop the other end to the hdmi as mentioned earlier, but that gives video only.   Then you will have to take an audio cable out of your headphone jacks and find a way to plug them into your TV RCA jacks.   They make Mini Jack to RCA cable converters, they are cheap

There is also a how to guide here, and also youtube video's

Hubrisnxs
Legend

fyi i also have a ps3, so i do my netflix, amazon and hulu through my ps3 connected to my tv with an hdmi

joelprof

Thanks all.

0 Likes