Using your own router with Verizon FiOS/Fios Mini
Techn0Papi
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey Techies,

I followed the instructions provided by @JustinG on how to integrate your own router with FIOS Internet and TV.  https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/td-p/851632 

This article got me to about 90% of where I want to be. My setup is as followed: 

• Google WiFi - 3 pucks bridged ONT to Ethernet
  • Actiontec MoCA 2.5 Network Adapter for Ethernet Over Coax 1 Gbps Ethernet, Coax to Ethernet Adapter.

I've totally removed the Verizon G3100 Router with the intention of sending it back to Verizon to bypass paying the $20 monthly rental charge. Now the issue that I am now encountering is that the two Verizon Minis that I have in other rooms along with a Google WiFi puck do not connect to the new wifi SSID. I cannot even find a way to point the connection to the new SSID from the FIOS Mini itself. Is this a byproduct of the limitation of this type of setup? Any advice?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using your own router with Verizon FiOS/Fios Mini
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Techn0Papi wrote:

Hey Techies,

I followed the instructions provided by @JustinG on how to integrate your own router with FIOS Internet and TV.  https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/td-p/851632 

This article got me to about 90% of where I want to be. My setup is as followed: 

• Actiontec MoCA 2.5 Network Adapter for Ethernet Over Coax 1 Gbps Ethernet, Coax to Ethernet Adapter.

I've totally removed the Verizon G3100 Router with the intention of sending it back to Verizon to bypass paying the $20 monthly rental charge. Now the issue that I am now encountering is that the two Verizon Minis that I have in other rooms along with a Google WiFi puck do not connect to the new wifi SSID. I cannot even find a way to point the connection to the new SSID from the FIOS Mini itself. Is this a byproduct of the limitation of this type of setup? Any advice?

Look here, looks like someone figured it out:

You can replace the Verizon router completely by using a 3rd party router and a MOCA-Ethernet device. You need to do some port forwarding in order for Guide, OnDemand, DVR and remote FiOS app to work. 

1. I changed/cloned my new router's MAC address to match the MAC address of the original FiOS router but am not sure if this is necessary or not. 
  2. I set my new router DHCP up to assign the same address range as my FiOS router (192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.200).
  3. I added two DHCP reservations for my Set-Top-Boxes [STB] (192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101).
  4. I added an ActionTek MOCA adapter to an "internal" port of my router and plugged the coax cable into my primary STB.
  5. I created a port-forward from the router's external IP to the IP of my primary STB (192.168.1.100) for source UDP port 63145 UDP -> destination UDP port 63145.
  6. I created a port-forward from the router's external IP to the IP of my primary STB (192.168.1.100) for source TCP port 35000 -> destination TCP port 7547.
  7. I created a port-forward from the router's external IP to the IP of my second STB (Mini) (192.168.1.101) for source TCP port 35001 -> destination TCP port 7547.
  8. I created a port-forward from the router's external IP to IP 127.0.0.1 for source TCP port 4567 -> TCP port 4567.
  9. Rebooted all equipment.

With these changes, everything works just as if the Verizon router was in place.  Of course I can't promise this will work for everyone but it may be worth a shot.  I got the port numbers to forward from the original FiOS router, so you may want to check your router, if you have one, to see if your port numbers might be different.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am not an expert in Fios TV mini. You can move your post to the Fios TV board for more exposure.

I believe Fios Mini connects to a hidden band (SSID not broadcasted) of either G3100/G1100 router, if you are using WiFi connection. In this case, you might need the Verizon router. If you are using the coax connection, I don't think there is any issue.

Also, the MoCA 2.5 adapter is way overkill for STBs. Just grab a WCB3000N off Ebay for $20. Unless you are using the coax as your network backbone, you don't need MoCA 2.5 or even MoCA 2.0.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Techn0Papi wrote:

Hey Techies,

Look here, looks like someone figured it out:

You can replace the Verizon router completely by using a 3rd party router and a MOCA-Ethernet device. You need to do some port forwarding in order for Guide, OnDemand, DVR and remote FiOS app to work. 

1. I changed/cloned my new router's MAC address to match the MAC address of the original FiOS router but am not sure if this is necessary or not. 
  2. I set my new router DHCP up to assign the same address range as my FiOS router (192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.200).
  3. I added two DHCP reservations for my Set-Top-Boxes [STB] (192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101).
  4. I added an ActionTek MOCA adapter to an "internal" port of my router and plugged the coax cable into my primary STB.
  5. I created a port-forward from the router's external IP to the IP of my primary STB (192.168.1.100) for source UDP port 63145 UDP -> destination UDP port 63145.
  6. I created a port-forward from the router's external IP to the IP of my primary STB (192.168.1.100) for source TCP port 35000 -> destination TCP port 7547.
  7. I created a port-forward from the router's external IP to the IP of my second STB (Mini) (192.168.1.101) for source TCP port 35001 -> destination TCP port 7547.
  8. I created a port-forward from the router's external IP to IP 127.0.0.1 for source TCP port 4567 -> TCP port 4567.
  9. Rebooted all equipment.

With these changes, everything works just as if the Verizon router was in place.  Of course I can't promise this will work for everyone but it may be worth a shot.  I got the port numbers to forward from the original FiOS router, so you may want to check your router, if you have one, to see if your port numbers might be different.

Good luck.

Techn0Papi
Enthusiast - Level 1

All, 

I just wanted to update everyone that I was able to get things to work with Google Wifi but with one caveat (Not Over Wifi). Google Wifi doesn't have the ability to spoof the MAC address of their devices but what I was able to do was place the wifi pucks close to the Verizon Mini STB's and run an ethernet wire to each other. I tested the DVR and guide and all is well. 

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Techn0Papi wrote:

All, 

I just wanted to update everyone that I was able to get things to work with Google Wifi but with one caveat (Not Over Wifi). Google Wifi doesn't have the ability to spoof the MAC address of their devices but what I was able to do was place the wifi pucks close to the Verizon Mini STB's and run an ethernet wire to each other. I tested the DVR and guide and all is well. 

Actually, wiring the minis to an extender is the BEST way to get them to work wirelessly.

jrmonta
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just so you know, I've been using my own router with a MoCA adapter for over a year now and you don't need to do any port forwarding for the STB's to get Guide data, On-Demand viewing or Netflix widget streaming.  My STB is a VMS4100 and the MoCA connection is enough for those functions.

For testing, I made those port forwarding changes using your post (I also had noted those port settings back when I had a G1100 but I never set them up in my new router).  The 63145 port forward made it possible for CallerID to work on my STB.  That never worked for me before and I verified it was used during CallerID by checking my router's logs.

The other ports might have to do with DVR or remote access, but I don't pay for DVR and don't use remote access so I can't test them.

I just want people to know that streaming and guide data works without the more advanced port forwarding settings, in case it's beyond their understanding.