VMS 1100 Variable Analog Audio Out / Downmix Stereo to Mono
Tcatman3

Is there anyway to get the vms1100 to give you variable analog audio out through the red white plugs on the back?    I can get variable digital audio out through the hdmi but the analog out is line level and fixed no matter the menu selection in settings.    An even better question is how can I have the vms1100 down mix  the 2.0 stereo to mono.   I want to use the variable audio out to drive a a single high quality monitor through an external power amp.    I have hard of hearing parents and think a single high quality center speaker using a power amp of a mono source might help.   Right now... I have to manually adjust the volume using the gain pot on a crown power amp.   (I think my last generation dvr could do this.... but ???)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: VMS 1100 Variable Analog Audio Out / Downmix Stereo to Mono
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Tcatman3 wrote:

Thanks,  I was hoping for a more elegant solution... but Hdmi out to an extractor will work... What kind of dac will be in these extractors?   I use an extractor to go from an hdmi PC graphics board to optical into an av reciever and that works well.  but this is all in the digital domain.   I should take a harder look at the TV... perhaps that might give me a mono variable out controlled by the verizon clicker?

Not sure of the quality of the DACs in the extractors, but probably as good as what's in the Fios box. The TVs usually have an optical out which you could use to feed the receiver, and use the TV volume to control overall volume. Take the center channel outs from the receiver to feed the amp Also if the folks are hard of hearing, I doubt the conversion DACs quality will make a difference.

View solution in original post

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Tcatman3 wrote:

Is there anyway to get the vms1100 to give you variable analog audio out through the red white plugs on the back?    I can get variable digital audio out through the hdmi but the analog out is line level and fixed no matter the menu selection in settings.    An even better question is how can I have the vms1100 down mix  the 2.0 stereo to mono.   I want to use the variable audio out to drive a a single high quality monitor through an external power amp.    I have hard of hearing parents and think a single high quality center speaker using a power amp of a mono source might help.   Right now... I have to manually adjust the volume using the gain pot on a crown power amp.   (I think my last generation dvr could do this.... but ???)

Look here in the menu:Main Menu > Settings > Audio & Video > Audio Format and change it to mono. You could also buy one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_mtf_aps_sr_pg1_1?ie=UTF8&adId=A0...

and create the mono signal yourself. As far as variable volume, it ONLY applied to the HDMI out. Could you take an output from the TV to feed the amps, using the HDMI  on variable to feed the TV? Or you could get an HDMI audio extractor, and use the audio outs from that with the Fios box on variable: https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Converter-Adapter-Splitter-Compatable/dp/B084RN22MW/ref=asc_df_B084...

Tcatman3

Thanks,  I was hoping for a more elegant solution... but Hdmi out to an extractor will work... What kind of dac will be in these extractors?   I use an extractor to go from an hdmi PC graphics board to optical into an av reciever and that works well.  but this is all in the digital domain.   I should take a harder look at the TV... perhaps that might give me a mono variable out controlled by the verizon clicker?

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Tcatman3 wrote:

Not sure of the quality of the DACs in the extractors, but probably as good as what's in the Fios box. The TVs usually have an optical out which you could use to feed the receiver, and use the TV volume to control overall volume. Take the center channel outs from the receiver to feed the amp Also if the folks are hard of hearing, I doubt the conversion DACs quality will make a difference.