VMS1100 is a media server, correct? On my network, correct?
VegasJH1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why can I not map a drive say to a NAS & play movies or videos I've ripped for storage on the TV in my living room where the VMS1100 is connected?

What I do know:

1. the VMS1100 is a media server & has an IP address on my network.

2. My NAS is also on my network & has an IP address. It also has its own media server built in.

3. 'Living Room' shows up in windows explorer under media devices on a PC downstairs, which ALSO has a media server running on it.

4. Arris shows up also in windows explorer under other devices twice.

5. My NAS and all network devices are in my basement but I'd like to play & watch movies upstairs in the other rooms. 

Can't this be done since everything is networked? Can't the VMS1100 map a drive & play the files? 

I'd like to do this without needing more equiptment. I have a Chromecast, but I'd have to play from the PC downstairs and HOPE the connection stays clear to keep the stream going upstairs. 

I've read Verizon used to have a media solution download that would allow this and it worked. But they stopped supporting it.

Any ideas out there? 

0 Likes
Re: VMS1100 is a media server, correct? On my network, correct?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

VMS does not have the capability to stream local content.

You can stream from it if you have the proper type of DLNA software.

And given that there are so many smart tvs out there that have streaming capabilities, doesn't make sense to me for Verizon to add it VMS.

Imagine the support headaches trying to help people set up their PCs and NAS to stream from VMS (because people believe that the streaming client should support them).

0 Likes
VegasJH1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I thought the VMS was a media server, as said in its manual, help menus, and everything.

A media server, with a network IP address, should be able to pick up and stream (since it is a media SERVER) netowrk files.

One would think anyways...

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

A media server is typically one that holds content to serve to others (like your NAS).

A client is one that can get the content to play.

So if anything, I would expect more for the IPC to be able to play other content.

0 Likes