VOD stealing my Internet bandwidth...
ak46
Enthusiast - Level 3

Normally I can do a speedtest.net test and get ~15Mbs downloads speeds.  When running VOD HD program, speedtest.net only reaches 5Mbs AND the VOD picture breaks up during the test.

Once upon a time I was told that VOD uses dedicated bandwidth that is NOT part of my Internet access allotment.  This is obviously not true.  I am also very surprised that VOD would be affected by my bandwidth usage.

Can anyone confirm that all this is normal, or if maybe something is just wrong with my service?

Thanks...

-A

0 Likes
Re: VOD stealing my Internet bandwidth...
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The cap on your Internet download speed is supposed to be raised to 30 Mb during VOD giving an aggregate that should be capable of handling 15Mb and a VOD (typically uses about 14 Mb).  Some people on higher download tiers have reported issues (especially with the old 610 model ONT).  It sounds like the provisioning for your ONT may not be correct.  Did you origianlly have a lower download speed (like 5Mb)?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the two are not supposed to touch one another unless you are on a higher tier plan like 50mb or something like that.

lower tier's shouldn't see a problem like that, and if you are, then I would definetly call it in and do the testing with the agents.   obviously try to reboot the router and factory reset it as well, but if those don't do anything to fix the problem then call that one in.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Keyboards wrote:

The cap on your Internet download speed is supposed to be raised to 30 Mb during VOD giving an aggregate that should be capable of handling 15Mb and a VOD (typically uses about 14 Mb).  Some people on higher download tiers have reported issues (especially with the old 610 model ONT).  It sounds like the provisioning for your ONT may not be correct.  Did you origianlly have a lower download speed (like 5Mb)?

I could never get a straight answer if that was a funtion of the ONT or QOS on the router. All this seems to be a tightly held secret because they don't want people getting free bandwidth. I do not run a Verizon router and have not noticed. I guess since I run Tivo it would come out of my 20mbps IP allocation.

0 Likes