Verizon FIOS not allowing programs to be recorded on DVD recorder
dogbrain
Contributor - Level 1

After the most recent FIOS upgrade (after Labor Day?), I continuously get:

“This program is not allowed to be recorded  - E26”

This includes old movies from Turner Classic Movie Channel as well as more recent Hallmark Mystery Channel movies.

I have been successfully recording programs using FIOS for years.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Does Verizon know about this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon FIOS not allowing programs to be recorded on DVD recorder
dogbrain
Contributor - Level 1

Known Verizon issue and will require an update to fix -ETA unkown.

People can try workaround of going from TV output to DVD recorder input if possible

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What verison software are you running on your box?

0 Likes
dogbrain
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for taking the time to respond

My system info looks like this - there is a whole lot more on other screens, but I wasn't sure if it would be useful:

Release APR-2.0

Build # 4.27

UI version 4.27

Middleware version 4.27

Firmware version KA15.09.16.07Alder492205

Platform ID VMS1100

Does that tell you anything significant?

0 Likes
dogbrain
Contributor - Level 1

I have spent a couple of hours with Verizon chat agent and the net net is that I should have never been able to burn any DVDs from any recordings on my STB.

What happened to the fair use doctrine?

0 Likes
hallrk
Contributor - Level 2

Mine is the same way. I recorded on the DVR a baseball game the other day. I try to record and keep any Vin Scully broadcast that is on the MLB Network. It would not let me transfer it to DVD last night. I only record these for my own pleasure and not try to sale them which would be illegal. I don't like this at all but there's probably not a thing anyone can do about it. I can record it on a VHS and sometimes I am able to transfer then to a DVD. It doesn't always let me do that but I will try it.

0 Likes
dogbrain
Contributor - Level 1

Known Verizon issue and will require an update to fix -ETA unkown.

People can try workaround of going from TV output to DVD recorder input if possible

ryder85
Enthusiast - Level 3

-Comcast, Time Warner, etc. has been doing this for several years now.

-Verizon is in no position to enforce other's copyright requirements. The individual networks are responsible to "police" their product and to each source a copyright protected signal if desired, and/or to prosecute anyone copying and distributing their copyrighted product (which is exactly what these cable companies are doing by alllowing you to use their DVR hardware to record and view the network's "copyrighted" product).

-Public access channels are not copyrighted, yet the cable companies are sending a signal to your DVD/VCR player blocking these signals from being recorded by you. 

- Why then is Verizon, and other cable companies, allowing these copywrited signals to be recorded and viewed on their DVR hardware by their customers?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
hogsfan

This apparently is still not solved.  the tech guy I spoke with yesterday said this was due to "copyright issues".   This is complete **bleep**, as the "copyright issue" was decided over 30 years ago in the Universal Studios/Sony SCOTUS case, which is what allowed everyone to make their own personal copy of movies/shows that they had already "purchased" once (by paying what was then the cable bill).    This was not an issue on DirecTV, which I dropped for other reasons, but am considering going back to solely over this. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have quantum running version 4.28.3.

Recording works just fine. At least on linear channels.

Haven't tried VOD as I don't purchase movies.

0 Likes