Re: Verizon Fios TV One Box Spontaneously Turning On TV
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@CordCutter wrote:

Reprogrammed fios remote to only control the stb (not tv), deleted Sony Bravia sync profile and remade it.  Still same issue. Black screens when changing to stb input on Sony tv.  Doesn’t happen every time, but when it does you have to reset the fios stb to get any picture.  

Are you turning off the Fios box after you change inputs on the TV? Try that if you aren't. The box could be seeing the lack of a device and loosing its sync to the TV's EDID identity. When you switch back after a long period of time it has to find it again and re sync. Also on the Sony, under Action menu>picture adjustments>advanced settings make sure all 3 options are set to AUTO. Also in the Home menu>External inputs>HDMI signal format make sure Enhanced format is selected.

Sandrew1

Thank you for the recommendation.  I have tried this and tested it for about a week.  The TV no longer spontaneously turns on as it had, but I am now experiencing other strange behavior, including:  

• External sound device (Samsung HW-Q950T, connected over eARC) dropping out.
  • Fios TV One box dropping and reconnecting.

It appears that the issues with eARC, a new feature enabled from the last firmware update, are known.  Not sure what's going on with the STB, though.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Sandrew wrote:

Thank you for the recommendation.  I have tried this and tested it for about a week.  The TV no longer spontaneously turns on as it had, but I am now experiencing other strange behavior, including:  

• External sound device (Samsung HW-Q950T, connected over eARC) dropping out.
  • Fios TV One box dropping and reconnecting.

It appears that the issues with eARC, a new feature enabled from the last firmware update, are known.  Not sure what's going on with the STB, though.

Yep, eARC is another iffy protocol that isn't 100% yet. A LOT of problems since manufacturers have way too much leeway interpreting the standards involved. Also the order you have devices connected affects the success of the system. You have found out the latest firmware for your TV apparently has some issues. Keep checking as they update frequently. I'd also check firmware updates for the soundbar. Again, if the firmware for the TV or soundbar updates, you may have to force a reconnect with the Fios box to get it to see the update. One workaround is to hook up the soundbar via optical from the TV instead of using eARC.

Ld131

I tried everything none of these steps work my tv has regza link even everything is disable still my tv turn on itself. Told Verizon they need to disable it or upgrade the software to change the hdmi to cable coax.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@Ld13 wrote:

I tried everything none of these steps work my tv has regza link even everything is disable still my tv turn on itself. Told Verizon they need to disable it or upgrade the software to change the hdmi to cable coax.

Instead of plugging the Fios box into an eARC connector on your TV try a basic HDMI input. Make sure Video input control is DISABLED in the Fios menu, and Anynet is disabled in the TV menu. Also make sure Expanded color, wide color, enhanced color or whatever Toshiba calls it is enabled for the Fios input.

eap4

Won’t this cause an issue using apps  like Amazon Prime video on the TV?  Since sound will need to come from the TV via eARC over HDMI.  

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@eap wrote:

Won’t this cause an issue using apps  like Amazon Prime video on the TV?  Since sound will need to come from the TV via eARC over HDMI.  

Yes, but it solved the problem for those folks. You could try optical from the TV to the soundbar to get audio from your apps. You could also try the eARC input on the TV and disable each item until you stop the TV from turning itself on.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

Actually, the more I think about this, ARC, or eARC shouldn't really affect the power on-off sequence. That is the job of the CEC system, which is operated through HDMI, regardless of ARC. There has to be a problem in the TV's CEC implementation to cause this. That's why turning off TV input control on the Fios box or CEC in the TV helps the problem. You should be able to use ARC for sound. Some TVs require CEC to use ARC though, and that is where you'll run into problems.

0 Likes