Verizon wont cancel TV service not under contract
brett65465464

I ordered local tv service $12.99 / mo last week because i don't get local channels. After trying to set up service, i fould out i also need to rent tv box at $12.00 / mo.  $24.99 is too much to spend for a few local channels. i attempted to cancel TV service but if i do, verizon will jack up the price $34.00 per month? What a rip off.

Internet and gateway / mo. : $50.49 / month.

then i ordered local tv. new total is $54.99 / month.

if i cancel the tv new new total is $89.00 / month for internet and gateway.

if i add tv box rental at $12.00 / month, monthly total jumps $16.00 per month to $71.99 / month!

So if i just stand pat i'm left paying $5.00 / month for something i get no benefit. WTH.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon wont cancel TV service not under contract
jonjones1
Legend

I am a mite confused.

internet & gateway (what are you talking about in regards to gateway?)

what type of speed is your internet? At what price? When you say gateway do you mean the Quantum Gateway Router? rental is $10 a month.

so now your price breakdown is $ 10 for the rental & $40.49 for your internet service if in NY it would be $48 and a bogus $2.49 Municipal Construction Surcharge 

then you state you ordered TV local stations and Verizon charged you $4.99 extra and $12.99 for the tv box so $17.98  is $68.48 a month. You realize tv is taxed. So the bill goes up. 

It is possible you have Verizon promotions which you lost or will lose if you try to revert back to just internet & router rental. That explains the discrepancy.

if not under contract just find a cheaper service. You can buy a antenna that gets local channels for around $20 on up. You save a ton of money.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Its not uncommon for cable companies to give discounts on bundles.

Plus for locals, you don't need a box if your TV has a qam tuner.

so its not that they won't cancel, you don't like the price that occurs if you do.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauthwrote:

Its not uncommon for cable companies to give discounts on bundles.

Plus for locals, you don't need a box if your TV has a qam tuner.

so its not that they won't cancel, you don't like the price that occurs if you do.

It would seem the original poster did not realize he didn’t need to use Verizon for local channels with his own antenna hooked to their tv. Many people don’t realize local channels are free and all digital and a simple indoor/outdoor antenna which varies in cost lets you watch.

of course Fios and cable don’t want customers to know that. It’s a way to make money.

my friend was telling me up the street Charter turned off the direct cable to tv and now requires him to get a set top box to see local channels. It’s a money grab.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon is unique from other providers in their technology.

Other cable companies depend on the box for channel authorization.

If they left the locals unscrambled to allow QAM tuners, they couldn't stop people from receiving them for free.

FIOS can turn off the TV service at the ONT if you don't subscribe.

Most, if not all of the other providers have gone away from analog channels.

As they switch to digital, they scamble all of them.
A number of them were giving away free digital tuners as part of themigration.

Have your neighbor check with their cable company.

0 Likes