Video On Demand = AWFUL
nmilot
Contributor - Level 1

I did a search for this topic and found some old posts from last year, wondering if people are still having these issues.  I've ony had FiOS for two months, so it's all new to me.

So far I've tried the VOD twice, both for free content.  The first time was last week for There Will Be Blood, the second time was tonight for an HBO series called East Bound and Down.  Both times, the quality was horrendous.  The audio would drop every five seconds and the screen would pixelate.

I would be furious if I had actually paid for them, but as I said they were free.

What gives???????????  I've only been with FiOS for two months, and this is already my sixth thread I've had to start for help.  I regret the day I left Comcast.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Video On Demand = AWFUL
nmilot
Contributor - Level 1

Tech came back out to my house again.  Turns out the new box that he had given me was also defective.  At this point everything is working.  In the end he swapped out:

-DVR box (twice)

-bedroom high def box

-basement splitter

-outside box

-router

Not sure exactly what fixed it, but the tech is pretty confident that it was the cable box.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CSimpson
Contributor - Level 1

Hmmm.. that is pretty odd behavior.  Any ideas if you were doing anything else on your network at the time that may eat up bandwidth?  For example, P2P downloads?

Only issues I've had were caused by the Actiontec Router, which were usually resolved after a quick 30-sec reset.  I hate that thing.

Other than that, VOD has been fine.  Although the SD vids are pretty hard to watch.  I'm also not a fan of the very slow FF/REW, but oh well.

0 Likes
nmilot
Contributor - Level 1

Nope, nothing else going on.  Computer wasn't even on.

When I have some time I'll try again.

Thanks.

0 Likes
vinnyv07
Contributor - Level 1

I can't remember any problems with the video on demand service as far as drop outs go or audio problems. It has always been pretty good when I watch it. If it continues I would try to reset the settop receiver or call Verizon to solve the issue.

Message Edited by vinnyv07 on 02-27-2009 02:53 AM
0 Likes
tgkn1ght
nWe have the same problem. We have an HD DVR in the basement - picture and sound occassionally have issues, but tollerable to watch.  We have just an HD box on the main level - horrible sound and video problems.  And we have a standard box on the 3rd level - worse then the 2nd floor and pretty much to the point of not having any video or sound because it is so choppy.  I have posted several times about this.  I have tried contacting customer support - that is a whole other nightmare.  They did finally replace our router - but that didn't help.  We have tried with and without computers on, with and without Lingo (internet phone) connected.  I have disconnected and reconnected all connectors and even went outside and unplugged and replugged everything out there.  No change - No VOD - and this has been well over a year.  I pretty much have given up and that is truely sad.
0 Likes
ubrgeek
Contributor - Level 1
Concur. Zero help from support, zero response on the forums. Would be nice to have a response. Even nicer would be better quality.
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
VOD requires good internet and good cables and good connections.  SO, it could be a programming issue on the set top box, which may be straightened-out by doing a power cycle of the STB, or calling tech support for a programming reload, or it could be the internet\router, whch usually is fixed by doing the hard reset to the router, or it could be a cable\connections issue to that set top box that is causing the issues (pixelization), which may be straightened out by re-seating all coax connections, or, perhaps you have a bad coax cable that needs replacing.   The technology works great, so everything else needs to be checked and verified. 
ubrgeek
Contributor - Level 1
I understand that. But the bad picture would be pretty much the same for all offerings if it was the cable (regardless, I've swapped cables to no avail). I've tried reseting the router, and that doesn't do it. Encoding the non-HD content with at a lousy quality is what does it. I've gotten all kinds of excuses to include it being ITV, which doesn't make sense, either. I'm sorry, but enough people have the same issue to make me think that it's the service, vice my setup.
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
actually, that is not quite correct.  different signals (HD vs SD) come from different locations and are also at different places in the box (HD vs SD)  and the HD is actually more sensitive than SD.    As to the coax, unfortunately you may need to start at the coax connection to the set top box, completely unscrew it, then screw it back on tightly, then go to the other end of the coax cable and unscrew that, taking it completely off, then screwing it back on securely, thus re-seating it.  You may need to go all the back to the splitter, or to all splitters you have, and then back to the optical network terminal re-seating each connection.  Also, the line to the router needs to be re-seated, too.  Unless your coax cable is YEARS old or has been wet or knawed-on by a squirrel or rat or something, or bent real sharp or pinched somewhere, the coax cable itself probably would be OK, but maybe one of the ends has come loose.  You never know.   Of course, you can have a field tech or other person with the proper testing equipment come to your house to do this for you, but if it is just re-seating that fixes it, you might consider that to be a bit expensive for the work done. 
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
I can assure you, again, if pixelization is what you are experiencing, it is caused by poor connections or bad coax cable.
0 Likes