Video does not pass thru AVR when AVR is in stand by as it used to with older STB
flat13

Just upgraded from older Fios STB to Fios ONE STB. With new STB, video does not pass thru AVR when AVR is in stand by as it used to only audio passes thru. Tested ROKU input and no problem passing video. Not sure how to solve issue. Other fixes worked temporarily but none worked  permanently. One fix I discovered was to 1) power on Fios ONE box & TV ( non 4K), then 2) select cbl/sat input on Marantz AVR remote ( while Marantz AVR is on "standby") and suddenly video appears. Have to do this procedure every time you power up the TV and Fios box.  I'm still researching/experimenting & pulling out my hair over this. Your thoughts?........

MARANTZ NR-1509 5.1 RCV w/PASS THROUGH
Samsung 46" HDTV ( no ARC, no 4K)

Fios ONE  STB

Fios ONE set top box

0 Likes
Re: Video does not pass thru AVR when AVR is in stand by as it used to with older STB
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@flat13 wrote:

Just upgraded from older Fios STB to Fios ONE STB. With new STB, video does not pass thru AVR when AVR is in stand by as it used to only audio passes thru. Tested ROKU input and no problem passing video. Not sure how to solve issue. Other fixes worked temporarily but none worked  permanently. One fix I discovered was to 1) power on Fios ONE box & TV ( non 4K), then 2) select cbl/sat input on Marantz AVR remote ( while Marantz AVR is on "standby") and suddenly video appears. Have to do this procedure every time you power up the TV and Fios box.  I'm still researching/experimenting & pulling out my hair over this. Your thoughts?........

MARANTZ NR-1509 5.1 RCV w/PASS THROUGH
Samsung 46" HDTV ( no ARC, no 4K)

Fios ONE  STB

Fios ONE set top box

You have the same issue as this person had: https://forums.verizon.com/t5/fios-tv-technical-assistance/fios-one-video-not-passing-through-avr-in.... You need to set the resolution of the Fios box to 1080i, which is the maximum resolution of the TV. Go here and it should work: Main Menu > Settings > Audio & Video > Video Settings>Video Format. Set it to 1080i, reboot the box. Als make sure there is no upsampling going on in the Marantz receiver menu.

Re: Video does not pass thru AVR when AVR is in stand by as it used to with older STB
flat13

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to reply. I tried that resolution after seeing it in the first post on this issue. Unfortunately, it did not resolve the problem at all and when I tried it again, did not resolve the problem. Since this issue started when new Fios ONE STB was installed, the issue is most likely with the new STB. Most likely not the RCV upsampling since the old STB never had any issues. BUT, I did discover a temporary fix, actually a "trick". With the RCV in standby(off), audio is passing through to TV speaker, video is not (which is the issue), I changed the input on the RCV (while in standby) from STB to any other input (DVD, AUX, Roku, etc. even unused input), then back to STB input and video appears!
All while RCV is in "standby"(off). Still pulling my hair out over this. Curious to hear others' thoughts.......

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@flat13 wrote:

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to reply. I tried that resolution after seeing it in the first post on this issue. Unfortunately, it did not resolve the problem at all and when I tried it again, did not resolve the problem. Since this issue started when new Fios ONE STB was installed, the issue is most likely with the new STB. Most likely not the RCV upsampling since the old STB never had any issues. BUT, I did discover a temporary fix, actually a "trick". With the RCV in standby(off), audio is passing through to TV speaker, video is not (which is the issue), I changed the input on the RCV (while in standby) from STB to any other input (DVD, AUX, Roku, etc. even unused input), then back to STB input and video appears!
All while RCV is in "standby"(off). Still pulling my hair out over this. Curious to hear others' thoughts.......

The older Fios boxes did not check the possible output resolutions for what was connected to them. The new Fios one box periodically checks the maximum resolution of the devices connected to it and tries to output the highest resolution it can. I think the problem is the Fios one is seeing the receiver as being 4K capable, and tries to output 4K, which your TV can't handle. When you toggle inputs you let the receiver see a lower resolution source, then toggling back to the fios box it re-examines the devices and sees 1080. You could also go into the service menu of the fios box and force 1080 output, but I think the problem is you have to set the receiver to only output 1080 and only accept 1080 on its inputs. You should also check that the HDMI setup in the receiver is set to standard, not enhanced. Do you get a picture when the receiver is turned on and only have the issue when it is in standby?

flat13

Thanks again for the quick reply.  Yes, I get picture when RCV is on. Issue is only in standby (pass through). I spoke with Marantz support and their response was that it is an issue in general with STB's not specifically mentioning Fios One. They suggested I connect STB w/HDMI to TV and TV w/optical to RCV. I haven't tried that yet but I assume it avoids the problem.
Your comments are very interesting and lead me to think that Fios is moving in a direction towards controling the environment instead of adapting to it by simply providing a cable TV source, like a CD, DVD or Roku player. Frankly, I expect Fios, Marantz, etc. as was always the case to adapt to industry standards and consumer needs. I require a flexible and versatile STB that can recieve, change channels and "pass through" without issues. Correct me if, I'm wrong but this doesn't seem to be the case these days.Perhaps I should consider moving away from cable if it doesn't make firmware/software updates in the near future to remedy this issue. But still open to suggestions........

0 Likes
flat13

sorry forgot to include the following: RCV is set to "standard" not "enhanced". I set Fios STB to 1080i but how would I "force" it to 1080?

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@flat13 wrote:

sorry forgot to include the following: RCV is set to "standard" not "enhanced". I set Fios STB to 1080i but how would I "force" it to 1080?

You have to go into the service menu and set the resolution to 1080i, and remove any others you don't use. I'm not sure this will help because I still think it is the box scanning the connected device (reciever) and seeing a 4K capable device. Apparently when it is on, the receiver correctly presents itself as only 1080 capable. Is there a way to limit the passthrough resolution on the Marantz? To get to the service menu do this:

As far as connecting the Fios box to the TV, then optical to the receiver, you could do that if you watch the Fios box more than the others, but that means switching inputs on the TV every time you want to watch a different source, then setting the receiver to the source too. You could also set up the Fios box to turn on the Receiver and TV in one shot using CEC if that is what you want to do anyway.

flat13

Again thanks for taking the time to reply  to this issue. Not sure I should attempt the suggested "fix" especially since it may not resolve the issue. But I I understand you correctly, would the solution be to upgrade my TV to a 4K TV?

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@flat13 wrote:

Again thanks for taking the time to reply  to this issue. Not sure I should attempt the suggested "fix" especially since it may not resolve the issue. But I I understand you correctly, would the solution be to upgrade my TV to a 4K TV?

Don't tell your wife I said so but there is a VERY good chance it will resolve the issue, but at a pretty high cost. If you were considering an upgrade, then I'd say you probably won't see the issue after upgrading. Of course there may be an issue with the passthrough from the Marantz, but I doubt it with a 4K display at the output.

flat13

Regardless of purchasing a new TV, I would really like to notify Verizon and Arris. I really think they need to take a look at this and come up with a resolution (no pun). Perhaps you know how I could contact the right people. Thanks again for your help

0 Likes