Video on Demand PROBLEMS?
plagued
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, I'd like to know if these problems occur with everyone, or if I have a problem with my VOD service.

Tried over the phone troubleshooting, reset cable modem, etc.  Tech hasn't come out yet.

Normal cable channels are relatively stable,but I get this with VOD:

Intermittent sound drop outs - some programs, not all.

Intermittent video pixelazation.

Long delays when navigating VOD menus (up to 10 seconds between pressing button and response).

Long startup time when accessing initial VOD menu (15 seconds).

0 Likes
Re: Video on Demand PROBLEMS?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@plagued wrote:

Okay, I'd like to know if these problems occur with everyone, or if I have a problem with my VOD service.

Tried over the phone troubleshooting, reset cable modem, etc.  Tech hasn't come out yet.

Normal cable channels are relatively stable,but I get this with VOD:

Intermittent sound drop outs - some programs, not all.

Intermittent video pixelazation.

Long delays when navigating VOD menus (up to 10 seconds between pressing button and response).

Long startup time when accessing initial VOD menu (15 seconds).

First, just a point of clarification, FIOS does not have a  "cable modem" only a router.

Don't have the first 2 problems.  VOD does not have audio drops or pixellation issues.

The slow button response is a known issue that is supposed to be addressed in the IMG update to V1.6 - can't verify this as my area is still on V1.5.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
I would remove the power to the ONT and the battery and put them both back in to reset the ONT. If you don't feel comfortable doing that wait for the tech to do it.
0 Likes
cubs2b23
I just got the 1.6 update and Im still seeing the problems with bad pixelation and audio drops with almost all the content I try with VOD.  I will say that accessing and navigating is much better in the VOD menus.
Message Edited by cubs2b23 on 08-27-2008 06:14 PM
0 Likes
birdistasty

I get occasional pixellation, but it really isn't anything totally desruptive or anything.

I do, however, get the long delay when selecting stuff.  Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what causes this?  I only ask because I noticed the delays are worse at some times than others. 

0 Likes
cliffs
Yes, I get the same video pixel probloems and sound drop out, but only of video on demand where I purchase a movie.  In addition, the picture quality is horrible, almost blurry.  but again, only with purchased programs.  the subscription free programs (hbo etc) in the on denad section are fine.
0 Likes
T00LHEAD
I'M having the same problems with the sound and pic. I've only had fios tv for 2 weeks the first week was great but the start of the second week nothing but trouble with the on demand channels.
0 Likes
supermanchick

I have FIOS Tv for about a week now and have the skipping and pixel problems described by you all- but it seems only on the DVR box, my standard boxes are fine, but VOD is at night. I reset the DVR STB and it goes away for a short while. I reset the M1424WR router  and the DVR STB and it goes away for a short while.

I read this as a possible answer in the FIOS kit ( that you get on install, it looks like a DVD movie case - it's red with "FIOS" in white letters- in the "your Verizon FiOS Quick Reference Guide" to do this. 

I read somewhere in cyberspace that my SPEED in my FiOS may be responsible for TV problems because I have alot of traffic going through the router , which does control all internet activities in my home as well as DVR, VOD, and Guide.  

I have 4 hard-wired PC's (sometimes a swap  of one of the PC's for a hard-wired XBox 360), 2 wireless notebooks , a wireless Wii, a PSP, and the Television service.   They're not all running at the same time, but I firmly believe that an activity like Halo 3, or downloading/uploading photos affects the VOD.

I am currently asking around to see if my theory is correct. I actually shut down all PC's and the VOD worked fine- coincidence??????

0 Likes
ManiacDan

I've also had problems with VOD on my FiOS box.  Aside from the fact that you can't tell if a movie is full screen or wide screen until you've already paid for it, the last few movies I've purchased were grainy and had intermittent sound and video issues.  Case in point: I ordered Get Smart last weekend after seeing it advertised (in clear widescreen) on the verizon commercials that get injected into normal programming.  When I purchased the movie, not only was it terrible quality and full screen instead of widescreen, but I had to restart it twice because the sound and/or picture cut out.  $5 for that isn't worth it, in my opinion.

I used to watch the "free" primetime VOD shows, but they took away the only shows I was interested in, so I haven't done that since purchasing my new TV and upgrading to a DVR.  Maybe I'll try to muscle my way through an episode of Prison Break or something to see if the quality is terrible there as well.

0 Likes
Wigster
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes. I just got FIOS in the Lansdale, PA area and I can't believe how slow the menu commands are, particularly the OnDemand. The quality of the OnDemand programming is terrible. I have sound drop outs and blurry video. The sound drop outs are usually during the previews and must have something to do with the broadcast quality (changes from Dolby Digital compatible to PCM to 2 channel) ... nevertheless, the sound should be consistent and the quality the highest.

I see someone suggested the following to these issues awhile back ... 

"... is supposed to be addressed in the IMG update to V1.6 - can't verify this as my area is still on V1.5."

How can one tell what update they have?

There are also suggestions about high resource demand being the culprit (e.g. multiple computers running etc.). Certainly this is likely not an issue unless you were trying to run everything at once, right? I have 4 TV's and up to 4 PC's but they are rarely on at the same time.

Besides yelling at Verizon, does anyone have suggestions?

Samsung DLP HLS6188 (HD-DVR motorola box HDMI connected), Samsung 32" HDTV (standard motorola box component connected), Samsung 850 HDTV (HD motorola box HDMI connected), Samsung 450 HDTV (DT700)

2 macbook pro's (wireless)

2 IBM think pads (wireless). 

0 Likes