Weather Bug Widget
hrdknox
Enthusiast - Level 1

Within the past two weeks the Weather Bug Widget on all my set-top boxes has worked intermittently.  At first, I thought that it was my set-top box, but when I noticed that it was happening on all 5 of my boxes so I assumed that it wasn't the box but the service.  I called Verizon and one of the techs had me do a series of troubleshooting things which didn't work.  The tech put a ticket in to the higher level assistance to see if there was outage in my area.  After one hour technical assistance called and said there was an outage and the widget would be working within 24 hours.  It's been over one week and the widget is still malfunctioning.  The widget says "Data Currently Unavailable", then hours later is shows data.  The next day or two it's back to "Data Currently Unavailable.  

I've had Fios service for 4 years and this is the first time I am experiencing trouble with this widget.  It seems like the problem is with the widget service and not isolated to my service, but I am not convinced because I can't find anyone else with this problem. 

If you are experiencing this same problem, please let me know so I can rule out that it is isolated to my service.

Re: Weather Bug Widget
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

I have noticed a change in the way the Weather Bug widget works.  If there are less than a certain number of hours left in the day pressing the "A" button says data not available.  Pressing OK to bring up details works, BUT the "hour by hour" no longer goes for 24 hours - it goes to the end of the current day (11 PM). 

Occasionally I do get that the forcast is not available and only for Verizon customers - DUH I got there from a Verizon STB.  It then also suggests I check my internet connection - again DUH as I couldn't get to that screen without a connection.

It's been like this for a while.

hrdknox
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, that's exactly what's happening.  Thanks for the reply, I figured it was a problem with the widget.  Oh well, I'll just refer to the weather app on my phone for the hour by hour forecast.

0 Likes
Ladybugaboo
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been having the exact same issue with Weatherbug for much longer than 2 weeks.  I don't bother calling C/S anymore because I find that they haven't got a clue.  Many months ago, I did call in the problem and was given different reasons as to why this was happening; e.g., power outage, my box and then finally the service itself.

Not only does it usually say "data currently unavailable" but the information is kooky.  You can press OK when you get this message and the weather does come up but the wind reading has been crazy.  Right now it says 175 mph.  My house would be blown away with winds this high.  A neighboring town wind reading is 218 mph.  Then it will say that there is "0" precip but on the radar map, my area is covered with green indicating rain.  Or it indicates thunderstorms and I look outside and it's dry as can be.

So then I tried the Weather  Channel only to get an Error msg saying the same thing "data currently not available". 

What I don't understand is why Verizon isn't monitoring this forum and fixing the problems.

0 Likes
Ladybugaboo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Two + years later and the same problems are occurring.  On a daily basis, I get error messages.  Typically, the service is unavailable or one or more of the screens won't display or I get a black screen.  It eventually will function but the biggest problem is how inaccurate the weather is.  The weekly/hourly does not always correspond to the map and both or either does not correspond with the actual weather in my location.  It'll say sun, rain or snow and none of these will actually be apparent.  The old weather widget worked beautifully but Verizon saw fit to take it away from us.  They offer the weather channel which offers a fleeting glance at the area you live in without giving you any real important information.  I rely on accurate weather forecasts as many of us do so why can't Verizon give us what we want - what we pay for and stop their penny-pinching alternatives.

0 Likes