What is TV "input" (Cable, AV, AVG) selection with QIP2500 setbox (QIP doesn't have HDMI)
FraminghamMA
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi,  I have an old SD flat tv and want to connect it with an old Motorola QIP2500 setbox.  On the tv I don't know which "input" selection to use.  The QIP does not have HDMI. : (    But the other selections are Cable, AV, or VGA.

Also, the house is setup with Fios ONT. This may be since acquiring the QIP2500.  Is that a conflict?

The setbox isn't activating.  The TV is not activating.

A separate note:  I've also had a notice that the "Network" is not available.  Not sure what's causing that. I've tried every problem-solving info.  Dis-connect tv and box from wall.  Re-set Router.  Checking the Cable Wire to wall.(seems ok)  And tightened up all connections.   Nothing helps.

That's why I asked the 1st question above.

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What is TV "input" (Cable, AV, AVG) selection with QIP2500 setbox (QIP doesn't have HD
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Coax from wall goes to coax in on Fios box. You can use coax out from the Fios box to the coax in on the TV, select Antenna input on TV. TV will have to be on channel 3 or 4 depending on the output of the Fios box. If you use yellow and red and white from Fios box, plug into AV input of TV, yellow ,red, white, select AV input on TV.

View solution in original post

Re: What is TV "input" (Cable, AV, AVG) selection with QIP2500 setbox (QIP doesn't have HD
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

To the best of my knowledge, Verizon isn't supplying the QIP2500 to Fios subscribers at this point.

Was this unit supplied by Verizon, or was it an Internet purchase? If it was an Internet purchase, it is likely associated to another Fios account. Verizon doesn't sell STBs.

That aside, when I had that model STB, it connected to my old Sony Trinitron using RCA cables. It connected to the network via the coaxial cable jack.

FraminghamMA
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dexman, Thank you. 
This Motorola was.from Verizon.(and with an old type tv. ). I think also with the rca wires. We soon got Fios. 
But settop box changed when soon  after Verizon asked to update system to ONT. So i put it away, they gave new box, I bought new tv. They forgot about the old setbox. 
I forgot what wires connected then. We’ve changed tv since. 
But I want to use QIP with an old unused LCD flatscreen in another room that has cable wire in wall.  Instruction is to use only coaxial wires. 
my question: what input to select from TV dropdown list on TV screen. 
Or are you saying all this is a conflict?

thanks again. 

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which replacement STBs did Verizon send?

If they are the Arris 4100s, the old Motorola STBs can't be used.

There is an adapter available to connect old televisions to the new boxes. 🙂

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Coax from wall goes to coax in on Fios box. You can use coax out from the Fios box to the coax in on the TV, select Antenna input on TV. TV will have to be on channel 3 or 4 depending on the output of the Fios box. If you use yellow and red and white from Fios box, plug into AV input of TV, yellow ,red, white, select AV input on TV.

FraminghamMA
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you  both for your info. I'm keeping note of it for the future.

I will now tell you that I connected by phone with Verizon's Tech Dept.   I followed some prompts at Verizon and went to the department.

The bottom line for everyone to know (I didn't), is that during the pandemic Verizon is offering upgrades of boxes (or whatever the newer ones are called for HD).  For free.

When I called, I was able to leave my phone # and they would call back, and I was told it would be in one hour. I was able to fit my day around that. And it worked. Much better than holding for one hour.

My situation began with my 2nd box, very small and used in a bedroom. It died. The tech said my original little box (from 2004) did die.  That's why I was trying to install the Motorola QIP to replace the small one.

I was told the Motorola qip2500 (2015) has expired since an upgrade at time of ONT installation.  So I cannot activate it and use it to replace the dead one.

I have my main Box in living room, and the unnamed small one was in a bedroom. The qip2500 was kept in its original box.

Tech said to return all 3 to a local Verizon store or use the postal label they can send me to return.

So this turned out very well. 

And it is a reminder to me - wow, those taxes are unreasonable.  Wonder if there is a coalition out there looking at this and how legitimate this practice is.  I don't use most of the services those taxes are for.  For example, I'm not a sports watcher.

I hope the above is helpful to anyone.

I really appreciate the prompt replies. Great forum.

0 Likes
FraminghamMA
Enthusiast - Level 3

Forgot to say that I will receive two separate "boxes".  The second one to replace the little one I had is an upgrade.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I suspect that the replacements will be 4100 series STBs. 🤔

FraminghamMA
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Dexman,  I just PM to you.  Not sure it went through.  

FraminghamMA

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for further discussion. Thank you.

0 Likes