When did FIOS stop replacing remotes for free?
wwreith1

In the past when my remote stopped working I called or chatted and simply got a new one. Now FIOS is demanding I buy one. Since the FIOS remotes won't operate my tv fios box and blu ray, is always rather slow, and I have to buy one! Does anyone have suggestions for a remote that actually works well. 

0 Likes
Re: When did FIOS stop replacing remotes for free?
silverado4x4
Contributor - Level 2

Verizon stopped giving them away for free when they found out people were getting them for free then selling them on ebay and such. I use harmony remotes to control my sound bar, cable box and tv the other 2 are verizon remotes as they only control the tv and cable box.

0 Likes
wwreith1

never even occurred to me to do that. You would think a 1 remote per X years policy would help. Oh well. Thanks for the suggestion. it has to be better than the standard FIOS remote.

0 Likes
MarkfromPhilly1

Verizon wants to charge me a monthly rental fee for the set top boxes but wants me to buy my own remote when theirs wears out? Um, no--it goes with the box.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MarkfromPhilly wrote:

Verizon wants to charge me a monthly rental fee for the set top boxes but wants me to buy my own remote when theirs wears out? Um, no--it goes with the box.

Is Sony, Samsung or whatever TV maker you have going to give you a free remote when that remote breaks? What about Amazon when the Firestick remote breaks? No they are not. So why would Verizon?

0 Likes
SnoBrdr

Because you are renting it.  You bought your tv, you didn't buy the box or the remote.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you lease a car, you are still responsible for maintenance.

They made a business decision.

Replacing remotes was costing too much.

And people were taking advantage of the deal and selling them on eBay.

0 Likes
qmart

I believe the difference here is that the cable box is rented and the remote is needed to operate it. I view the remote as a functional part of the cable box and as such should be replaced at no charge if it fails.

0 Likes
TexasBear

Why would anyone buy a fios remote on EBAY?  when they were free from the company.  That is a bogus answer in my opinion.  they just wanted to nickel and dime us even more.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

They had been free.

But too many people kept requesting them.

Then they tried only 1 per year per STB. Still had a lot of requests.

Not sure why people would buy them, but if you look on eBay there quite a large number of them for sale (along with some STBs but those are all not allowed to bought/sold)

0 Likes