Who Would Like To See Verizon Update FIOS / Quantum To Have a Voice Command Feature
Igor_Stravinsky
Enthusiast - Level 3
I switched from Comcast to Verizon in October (2017) and really miss Xfinity X1's Voice Command feature.  This feature made it possible to find, play, or record content offered by Comcast or Netflix with a simple voice command.  This was a simple as pressing the talk button on the remote and saying: "Play Breaking Bad" (Netflix) or "Play Curb Your Enthusiasm" (Comcast / HBO).  This would either launch the Netflix app or bring up the HBO episode list without any tedious keying in of titles or searching.

It seems that Verizon has fallen behind Comcast X1 by not rolling out a similar feature for FIOS / Quantum.  Would anyone else like to see Verizon upgrade their FIOS platform to support voice commands?
0 Likes
Re: Who Would Like To See Verizon Update FIOS / Quantum To Have a Voice Command Feature
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

No.

Would think it would be annoying to others in the area while channel surfing.

0 Likes
Re: Who Would Like To See Verizon Update FIOS / Quantum To Have a Voice Command Feature
Drzengo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Absolutely. I miss it too

jonjones1
Legend

This capability is built in to Apple TV 4th. Generations, as well as Roku, and on some smart tv. 

Verizon is in no hurry to replace everything/ anything since it costs MONEY!

so you will have to make due with the providers that do have the ability, or equipment that can do it today.

0 Likes
Igor_Stravinsky
Enthusiast - Level 3

You are missing the point.  Of course any FIOS user has the option to use an internet streaming service sich as Roku, Amazon Fire or Apple TV. 

The point here is that we pay a premium price for the Verizon Quantum TV service.  While using FIOS Quantum, there should be a user friendly experience.  Comcast has made their X1 TV platform very convenient and simple to use.  If Verizon can't keep up with technological advances in TV viewing, they should get out of the TV business and only offer internet and telephone.  By the way, it cost Comcast "MONEY" to implement voice commands as well. 

0 Likes
Igor_Stravinsky
Enthusiast - Level 3

Annoying?  A three second voice command:

"Play game of thrones episode 12."

No that's not annoying, that's called convenience and freedom from having to make 30-50 clicks on the FIOS remote to accomplish the same task!

Tell you what: Go over someone's home who is using Comcast / Xfinity X1, then you will understand what former Comcast customers such as myself are missing!

0 Likes
Igor_Stravinsky
Enthusiast - Level 3

Last month Verizon introduced a Netflix widget that enables FiOS Quantum users to jump right into Netflix from Quantum.  To me this was a very positive step and demonstrates that Verizon has some level of commitment upgrading Quantum.  

Like Comcast's X1, FIOS Quantum should be an entertainment hub.  In the  long run, that is in Verizon's best interests as well because it keeps users close to the point where they can purchase content from Verizon.

I would be surprised if Verizon is not working on voice command capabilities for an upcoming release.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I understand that.

But there was some talk about a new service they were testing.

No channel numbers.

You have to select channel from icon (similar to Roku or Apple TV).

Surfing around on channels would be quite annoying.

I just got an Echo. It works pretty well. But doing multiple things in a row are a bit annoying.

Its nice to be able to change songs or volume across the room, but if I have to hold the remote anyway, I would rather just use the keys.

But we all have our own preferences.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

I didn’t miss the point.

my answer might not be the one you wanted to read, but at this moment in time Verizon chooses not to update the service to allow voice commands.

no matter who offers it in the cable industry at present, Verizon may at some point spend the money to have their customer base have that ability.

I used the streaming services as an example of their ability to do voice search and command. Nothing else.

0 Likes
Igor_Stravinsky
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unless you have used the Comcast X1 Voice Command feature, you cannot make a valid comparison on the level of effort required to play content on X1 versus FIOS.

As someone who has subscribed to both I can say that unequivocally X1 is 10 times easier than FIOS Quantum and more of a pleasure to use.