Why are there still SD Channels?
KarlHungus53
Contributor - Level 1

Every SD channels just letterboxes the picture already, so why not just get rid of them and have the box downsample the output to 480i?  I'm sure nobody purposly watches these channels.

0 Likes
Re: Why are there still SD Channels?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

What if they only have a SD TV?

There are still a significant number of SD only boxes still out there.

So someone must be watching.

0 Likes
forum11
Enthusiast - Level 3

@CRobGauth wrote:

What if they only have a SD TV?

An HD box can downsample to SD as the OP mentioned.

@CRobGauth wrote:

There are still a significant number of SD only boxes still out there.

This was the big point being made back in 2010 and 2011 by Verizon staff and supposedly the expectation was for SD boxes to go away and ultimately be able to drop the SD feeds, freeing up bandwidth. Here we are seven years later still talking about SD only boxes in the field. It would be nice to hear from Verizon regarding their previously mentioned efforts to retire all SD boxes.

I wanted to provide the link to one of the old forum threads on this subject, and see if any new posts had been made, but can't seem to find it now. I know I participated in said thread, but looking at my profile I can only see a list of five posts out of a reported total of 21. The search function is virtually useless. I don't know when they "upgraded" it as I don't visit here often, but this current forum software is horrible.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi forum11,

Click "View All >" at the bottom of the list of posts on your profile page to see posts going back beyond the most recent five.  The Idea Exchange is currently unavailable, so posts there are no longer viewable.

0 Likes
forum11
Enthusiast - Level 3

@LawrenceC wrote:

Click "View All >" at the bottom of the list of posts on your profile page to see posts going back beyond the most recent five.  The Idea Exchange is currently unavailable, so posts there are no longer viewable.

Right. But when I did that I got to a page that still only showed the same five posts. Now when I do that, since I have a new post in this thread, I get those plus my new post. So it's working for new stuff, but not for anything historic, yet the post counter now shows 22 posts. Maybe the thread I care about was on the "Idea Exchange", I don't recall, but if it's unavailable then I guess I'll not be finding out. That still doesn't explain why I now can only see 6 of 22 supposed forum posts. Again, a big thumbs down for this current setup.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

@forum11 wrote:

Maybe the thread I care about was on the "Idea Exchange", I don't recall, but if it's unavailable then I guess I'll not be finding out. That still doesn't explain why I now can only see 6 of 22 supposed forum posts. Again, a big thumbs down for this current setup.

The posts you are missing were indeed posted to the Idea Exchange.

0 Likes
forum11
Enthusiast - Level 3

@LawrenceC wrote:

The posts you are missing were indeed posted to the Idea Exchange.

OK, good to know. It's strange that the post counter includes posts that are no longer accessible. Of course it would be good if those Idea Exchange threads were still accessible.

0 Likes