Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring the phone you love. OR get iPhone 13, on us. Online only. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 1.31. Buy now
end of navigation menu
Why is Verizon providing substandard service for streaming?
FiosSam
Newbie

So I just made the switch to Fios from a competitor that I was pretty happy with, only to find out that Verizon does not have a solution for streaming anything other than Netflix and Youtube through the Fios TV box. This includes Disney+, that we got for 6mo free.

Why is Verizon providing substandard service for streaming? Technically they can do it so there must be another reason. Suggesting that I stream through another device (AppleTV, Firestick, etc) is beyond disappointing. 

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Why is Verizon providing substandard service for streaming?
clem21
Super User
Super User

@FiosSam wrote:

So I just made the switch to Fios from a competitor that I was pretty happy with, only to find out that Verizon does not have a solution for streaming anything other than Netflix and Youtube through the Fios TV box. This includes Disney+, that we got for 6mo free.

Why is Verizon providing substandard service for streaming? Technically they can do it so there must be another reason. Suggesting that I stream through another device (AppleTV, Firestick, etc) is beyond disappointing. 


Why switch if you were happy? Did you check online and see if people were as satisfied with Verizon streaming as they were with your other provider? No excuses for poor service, but you could have looked before you took the leap.

Re: Why is Verizon providing substandard service for streaming?
FiosSam
Newbie

Oh this is on me for sure. I made the mistake of assuming that Verizon’s streaming support would be a given. We made the switch for some service improvements and lower prices when combining services. 

0 Likes
Re: Why is Verizon providing substandard service for streaming?
clem21
Super User
Super User

@FiosSam wrote:

Oh this is on me for sure. I made the mistake of assuming that Verizon’s streaming support would be a given. We made the switch for some service improvements and lower prices when combining services. 


This forum is for solving users problems,, not a gripe session. Sorry if I sound uncaring, but we see this kind of thing enough that I just reacted to it. No cable service I know of has a perfect user experience, if you find one PLEASE post it, I'd also love to switch. I'm sure Verizon isn't giving poor service intentionally, why would they? It is in their best interest to satisfy customers, not anger them. As far as a solution to the bad streaming, there are a lot of ways it can go sideways, post what the specific issue is and maybe we can figure out how to fix it.

Re: Why is Verizon providing substandard service for streaming?
FiosSam
Newbie

This is not a gripe though I see how it can be seen that way, and no need to apologize. I am not trying to sound like a crank. I legitimately do not understand why I can stream Netflix and Youtube through the Fios box but not others. We have Apple TVs and can switch inputs and stream through them. I guess that I got spoiled by having a single remote to access everything with my last provider.

0 Likes
Re: Why is Verizon providing substandard service for streaming?
clem21
Super User
Super User

@FiosSam wrote:

This is not a gripe though I see how it can be seen that way, and no need to apologize. I am not trying to sound like a crank. I legitimately do not understand why I can stream Netflix and Youtube through the Fios box but not others. We have Apple TVs and can switch inputs and stream through them. I guess that I got spoiled by having a single remote to access everything with my last provider.


Yep, kind of a pain. I'm not sure if the 4100 series Fios boxes are capable of providing true streaming, not just the two channels they do now. I can check and see if anyone knows if that is a hardware limitation, or just not a feature that has been enabled yet. Fios does stream to apps and computers, but as you said that's more hardware.

Re: Why is Verizon providing substandard service for streaming?
FiosSam
Newbie

@clem53 wrote:

I can check and see if anyone knows if that is a hardware limitation, or just not a feature that has been enabled yet. Fios does stream to apps and computers, but as you said that's more hardware.

Just checking back to see if you were able to find the reasons behind the streaming through the box limitations?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Why is Verizon providing substandard service for streaming?
clem21
Super User
Super User

@FiosSam wrote:

@clem53 wrote:

I can check and see if anyone knows if that is a hardware limitation, or just not a feature that has been enabled yet. Fios does stream to apps and computers, but as you said that's more hardware.

Just checking back to see if you were able to find the reasons behind the streaming through the box limitations?

Thanks


I believe the issue is the Fios boxes are not capable of downloading apps to use for streaming other than what programming Fios provides. You would need a much more open platform to do what I believe you are looking for.