WiFi and TV
Goliaa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all,

first time posting. I have been dealing with an issue for a long time and Verizon refuses to send someone out to check my problem I complain of, even long before the quarantine. 

I own a high ranch built in 1970, nothing crazy structurally, no steel. Visually, the home is essentially 4 over 4; garage front left, front right entry and family room, apartment is in rear left and right. Second floor: Front left and right living room dining and kitchen, rear left master and Rear right bedroom and office.

ONT is in garage with wires up and around garage to go through wall to set up the main box and router in family room.  From here, literally one floor up and 30 feet over, I can hardly stream a show in my living room with frequent cut outs and disconnections via WiFi mini box. WiFi throughout the house is very poor and once I get to my master bedroom it’s nonexistent. I have never been able to watch television in my master bedroom either because it won’t connect the mini box. 
The apartment has minor issues with streaming and receiving WiFi. It has been over one year of complaining to VZ and it’s gotten me nowhere. 

I tried a linksys extender which helps with mobile phone and tablet WiFi but can’t get my smart tv to connect to it in my master bedroom. I’m at a very frustrated angry loss. My wife and I use our phones as hotspots often. It’s very annoying. 

I am considering hard wiring my house, luckily I’ve been able to map it out with straight runs to my attic and able to drop down into rooms. 

*THINGS I’VE NOTICED*

Keep in mind I am a layman with this technology and am teaching myself reading and watching vids. 

-From outside into my garage I have two cat5e: both travel across garage into family room for telephone jack and Ethernet jack .

-One White cable, I believe fiber, going to ONT and coming out to a dual splitter with one end of the splitter going across garage to family room for connection to main box and router. 

WHAT I WANT TO DO

1. Bring the main box and router to second floor to provide WiFi to tablet and mobile phones. 

2. I own a VZ WiFi extender and utilize it for apartment. 

QUESTIONS

1. I read in older posts, circa 2017 it’s not a problem that the technician used cat5e and that it’s standard procedure; but in 2019 when it was installed, is it still acceptable?

2. I noticed in the fios one mini boxes there’s coax connection available and an Ethernet connection available; can I run RG6 and hard wire the mini box Using coax port and use the Ethernet port on the mini box to provide internet to my Sony smart tv? 

it’s almost 1AM  and I can provide photos this following afternoon if anyone wants to see what I have going on or if I described something incorrectly and you need visuals. 

thank you so much for reading. I hope I can get some help 

-Stefano 

0 Likes
Re: WiFi and TV
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I’m assuming you have the FiOS Quantum Gateway G1100. The wifi on it just really isn’t that great so if you move to a more central location if might help. With wifi however there’s no guarantee. Either way I would agree with your idea to hardwire every. 
The fiber stops at the ONT and the white wire which connects to a splitter is RG6 coax. Basically run RG6 and Cat6 to every room you have a Smart TV. Connect the minis with coax and the the TVs with cat6. The Cat5e from the ONT to the router is fine. The 5e cable is rated for 1 Gigabit at 328 feet and Verizon’s highest offered speed is 940 Mbps. The ethernet connection on the mini is an in and not an out. They can connect via coax, ethernet, or wifi in that order. Also keep in mind the router needs to be connected with ethernet and coax. If you have any other questions let me know. 

Goliaa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey Edg1,

thank you so much for your reply. I finally ran coax and cat6 from the ONT to my attic. From the attic I can drop into wiring the rooms.

QUESTIONS

*Can an Ethernet switch go before the router? I want to take the cat6 from ONT and connect to an ethernet switch to drop into the rooms. I was planning to put the main fios box and router in one of the rooms. 

*In your opinion, which Ethernet switch works best with Verizon. I’m not on a budget, however I only have a 4 large rooms over 4 large rooms. 

Thank you very much for your help!

-Stefano 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, the ethernet from the ONT has to be connected to the router’s WAN port first. Then an additional ethernet will go from the router’s LAN port to feed the switch. Any basic 5 or 8 port switch with gigabit ports will be fine. 

Goliaa
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks so much for the rapid response, I appreciate you very much!

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No problem. Glad you were able to get everything wired up. 

0 Likes