WiFi extender and mini box
LL110
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Fios mini hard wired via my network coax and a laptop in the same room. Both are one floor above my 3100 router in my loft. I need to boost the signal to the laptop which is currently on WiFi. I just ordered the 3200 WiFi extender and my plan was to split my network coax to the extender and mini and connect my laptop via Ethernet to the extender. The info on the extender (under frequently asked questions) states you cannot split a coax to both the extender and a mini. If true, would it be better to run the mini box on WiFi, connect the extender to my coax and the laptop to the extender by Ethernet or keep the mini wired and run the extender by WiFi. The extender will be sitting right next to the mini box. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WiFi extender and mini box
LL110
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually, the issue occurs both with wireless and wired connection to the minis. It’s been a recurring problem since I had Fios installed a few years ago starting with the old Fios and continuing with Fios one. Despite multiple tech visits, replacement of boxes, DVR’s and the ONT, nothing has worked. I suspect at this point it has to do with the interior wiring in my building or loft but I am getting a good signal to my router. 
No matter. When they go out of sync I can fix it by rebooting the DVR and then the mini’s ( until it happens again!) I’ll just live with it. 
thanks again for your help!

View solution in original post

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@LL1 wrote:

I have a Fios mini hard wired via my network coax and a laptop in the same room. Both are one floor above my 3100 router in my loft. I need to boost the signal to the laptop which is currently on WiFi. I just ordered the 3200 WiFi extender and my plan was to split my network coax to the extender and mini and connect my laptop via Ethernet to the extender. The info on the extender (under frequently asked questions) states you cannot split a coax to both the extender and a mini. If true, would it be better to run the mini box on WiFi, connect the extender to my coax and the laptop to the extender by Ethernet or keep the mini wired and run the extender by WiFi. The extender will be sitting right next to the mini box. 

I would run the coax to the extender, then ethernet from the extender to both the mini and the laptop. No coax to the mini that way, and no splitter is involved. You could also run the laptop wireless,  just keep the mini wired to the extender.

LL110
Enthusiast - Level 2

Great idea! (I should have thought of that since there are 2 ports in the extender). I’m sure running the laptop wireless will be better with the extender close by (on my 1G plan I’m currently getting over 930 Mbps up/down to my router but only 30+/- to the laptop!) but using Ethernet should be even better or more stable, correct?

0 Likes
LL110
Enthusiast - Level 2

On the other hand, that means I’m just using the extender as a coax- Ethernet adapter right? Would just getting coax-Ethernet adapters work as well? Of course having the extender does give me the wireless option just in case. 
thanks!

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@LL1 wrote:

On the other hand, that means I’m just using the extender as a coax- Ethernet adapter right? Would just getting coax-Ethernet adapters work as well? Of course having the extender does give me the wireless option just in case. 
thanks!

Yes, in a way you'd be using the extender like a moca adapter,  but as you said it would also provide a stronger wireless signal for that floor.

LL110
Enthusiast - Level 2

True, and good adapters aren’t that much less expensive. It’s arriving today so we’ll see how it goes. It’s got to be better than what I have now. 
BTW- did you see my post from last year (mini boxes going out of sync with DVR)? Never got a response. Problem still happens (less frequently). It remains an unsolved mystery 🤔 Any thoughts?

many thanks for you excellent advice!

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@LL1 wrote:

True, and good adapters aren’t that much less expensive. It’s arriving today so we’ll see how it goes. It’s got to be better than what I have now. 
BTW- did you see my post from last year (mini boxes going out of sync with DVR)? Never got a response. Problem still happens (less frequently). It remains an unsolved mystery 🤔 Any thoughts?

many thanks for you excellent advice!

If the minis were hooked up wirelessly, that would explain most issues with them. They are not very reliable wirelessly, that's why I usually recommend an extender hardwired to the mini.

LL110
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually, the issue occurs both with wireless and wired connection to the minis. It’s been a recurring problem since I had Fios installed a few years ago starting with the old Fios and continuing with Fios one. Despite multiple tech visits, replacement of boxes, DVR’s and the ONT, nothing has worked. I suspect at this point it has to do with the interior wiring in my building or loft but I am getting a good signal to my router. 
No matter. When they go out of sync I can fix it by rebooting the DVR and then the mini’s ( until it happens again!) I’ll just live with it. 
thanks again for your help!