YouTube app narrator won't turn off
GtrRiff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I made sure Text To Speech is off in the Fios Settings Accessibility. I'm running Fios through my Xbox One and made sure the Narrator is turned off.

The narration only happens on the YouTube app on Fios. The YouTube app on Xbox itself doesn't do this.  The Netflix app on Fios doesn't do this either. 

This only started happening a few days ago while I was using YouTube on Fios.  But I can't recall what I did to turn it on and can't find info to turn it off that had helped. 

Any ideas? 

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: YouTube app narrator won't turn off
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@clem53 wrote:

@Jsmith1529 wrote:

same thing happened to me in the last few days.  I am running YouTube straight from the widget on a dumb TV.  The text to speech voice is the same as the menu setting but it only activates on YouTube.  

Try settings>system>accessibility>closed captions>DVS, turn off. Make sure text  to speech is off also.

I was also just given this link for a possible fix for you folks:

https://support.google.com/youtube/thread/51875377?hl=en

View solution in original post

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@GtrRiff wrote:

I made sure Text To Speech is off in the Fios Settings Accessibility. I'm running Fios through my Xbox One and made sure the Narrator is turned off.

The narration only happens on the YouTube app on Fios. The YouTube app on Xbox itself doesn't do this.  The Netflix app on Fios doesn't do this either. 

This only started happening a few days ago while I was using YouTube on Fios.  But I can't recall what I did to turn it on and can't find info to turn it off that had helped. 

Any ideas? 

Check to see if any closed caption or secondary audio language option is enabled on any of the devices in the chain. You could narrow down the source of the problem by going from the Fios box to the TV.  If you have normal audio, the problem is the Xbox.

Jsmith1529
Enthusiast - Level 1

same thing happened to me in the last few days.  I am running YouTube straight from the widget on a dumb TV.  The text to speech voice is the same as the menu setting but it only activates on YouTube.  

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Jsmith1529 wrote:

Try settings>system>accessibility>closed captions>DVS, turn off. Make sure text  to speech is off also.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@clem53 wrote:

@Jsmith1529 wrote:

I was also just given this link for a possible fix for you folks:

GtrRiff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I checked DVS and it's turned off.  Turning CC on and off doesn't matter either.

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@GtrRiff wrote:

I checked DVS and it's turned off.  Turning CC on and off doesn't matter either.

Did you go to this link and try their suggestion?

GtrRiff
Enthusiast - Level 2

I haven't tried resetting the app yet (I'm in the office).  I will try when I get home and report back.

GtrRiff
Enthusiast - Level 2

Resetting the app worked!

YouTube app (on Fios) -> Settings -> Reset App