YouTube on Fios
Naps33
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I have 3 boxes. When I try to watch YouTube on TV it doesn't always work. Never a problem on the computer.

The satellite boxes seem to always work but the media server box (the most often used) fails 2 out of 3 times and requires a re-boot in order to work. I can no longer use "Fix FIOS  issues" as it doesn't work anymore (on any box) but I can do a "reboot STB" and after I do, YouTube almost always works. I do seem to get a lot of "lockups" or "frozen screen" viewing YouTube... it seems to be at random on all boxes.

Also, every once in awhile the media server box loses graphics - no menu of any kind - guide, settings... the only thing I cando is unplug the box.

0 Likes
Re: YouTube on Fios
Naps33
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just to be clear this is the FIOS widget > channel 837 that is giving me the problems. Do I need a new box? Also, if I swap out the box do I lose all my recordings?

Thanks!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Can't say for sure if you need a new box.

Have you tried rebooting router?

If you do have to replace the VMS, you will lose all recordings.

0 Likes
Naps33
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does the router play a role in the youtube widget?

Does distance have anything to with it?

The box in question is the farthest from both the ONT and router.

Verizon tech should have been aware if the distance was an issue. I'm in my 4th year with Fios and it's only been an issue the past year and a half.  Although I didn't watch youtube as often the first year.

0 Likes
sg1937

This is a years long known issue.

Saddly, when you call Verizon, they pretend like you are the first person to ever call about it.

On any of my 5 STB, when watching youtube through the built in widget, usually after the 3rd or 4th video,  youtube videos will completely freeze. This last for anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes.

At this Point No buttons on the FiOS remote will work. The system completely freezes up.

The ONLY options are to wait the 3 to 10 minutes. Or, to unplug the STB and wait the 3 to 5 minutes it takes to reboot itself! Not much of a choice!

Doing either, is a temporary fix. As this problem persists endlessly every 3 to 5 videos.

The longest I've gone without a freeze up in the past two + years is about 7 very short videos. Most freeze ups last 5 to 7 minutes sometimes a few as 3, sometimes 10+.

I have had the boxes replaced twice, the complete ONT  box outside the house once,  as well as the cabling to each tv, the router, A booster added and removed, Splitters added and removed etc. We have also had, Three Home visits from Verizon Technicians for this issue in the past two years. and countless phone calls.

All pretend its something new, Several, claim they didnt know Youtube was even  built in . One said I needed a booster, the other removed it. One said I needed a splitter? the other removed it They are all just guessing.

We have been with FiOS internet since  it was first introduced in South Jersy in 2007 and The TV service a Few months later. In that time we have constantly upgraded and changed packages and equipment.  Silver Big Motorola boxes, Black Motorola One, Silver ring router, red ring router etc

Currently, I am on the Fastest Gigabit service with the quantum gateway router and the quantum TV new style boxes 

Uuntil Just recently, the internet portion of FiOS has been Rock solid!  I can count on one hand the amount of times the internet went out in ten years and each was for a minute or two. Recently, Iin the past 3 to 5 months, Somethings changed. The internet has gone out at least 6 times, one of which lasted several hours and the others 15 mins to an hour+.

Somethings deffinitely going on at big red.

The TV portion has had numerous issues since weve had it, especially with DVR, On Demand or Streaming content. But overall, the picture quality was  night and day compared to what Comcast offered.

We left Comcast a decade ago, because the internet went out multiple times daily.

Since then  FiOS (the TV side) has remained stagnat at best, while Comcast has improved and surpassed it in many ways. Time for a Change???

The only known fix for youtube  freezing on FiOS STB's is to NOT use it!

Get a chromecast or Chromecast enabled TV and cast from a phone , tablet etc. When you do, the issue will never appear again.

Verizon is completely aware of this , but wont fix the issue which is on their end  and the way they have implemented Youtube into their OS.

Even TVS with youtube built in do not have this issue, so it is 100% a Verizon FiOS issue!

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Naps33 wrote:

Does the router play a role in the youtube widget?

Does distance have anything to with it?

The box in question is the farthest from both the ONT and router.

Verizon tech should have been aware if the distance was an issue. I'm in my 4th year with Fios and it's only been an issue the past year and a half.  Although I didn't watch youtube as often the first year.

Yes router does play a role in widget. That is how the STBs get internet access for On demand/program guide/and widgets like you tube. 

No distance is not an issue unless your coax run is over 100 feet. 

If it happens on IP client boxes I would maybe start at the router or the coax to the router since technically your VMS box could be unplugged and the IP clients could still access you tube widget. In other words the VMS would have nothing to do with it happening on the IPs. 

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes