all DVR shows deleted and DVR problems now (freezing, skipping, crashing)

I have a HD DVR motorola fios STB and it has worked perfectly for 2 years.  A few days ago I came home to notice all 80% of my recordings on my DVR were deleted somehow while I was at work.  I was very upset but I got over it and re-added all my usual recordings to the now blank series manager.  After two days now every one of my new recordings are skipping and freezing the DVR where it cannot turn off with the remote or with the power button on the STB.  I have a feeling the hard drive is somehow corrupted or has something wrong with it and I want to get this fixed since I am paying for DVR every month.

Does anyone know if I can talk to verizon and exchange the STB for one that works or what I can do to fix the current harddrive issues.  Any more info you need to help I can provide.  Thanks

0 Likes
Re: all DVR shows deleted and DVR problems now (freezing, skipping, crashing)
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

You can call verizon at 888-553-1555 and explain what happened.  If you have a local verizon store and TS agreed you need a new STB you could drive down and exchange it but I suggest you get authorization from TS first.  If there aren't any local stores they will ship you a replacement if TS deems your unit is bad.

0 Likes

Thank you for the phone number I will call and see what they can do.  I'm not sure if there is anywhere I can drive it to in Long Beach but I will find out.  Thanks again

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

What state?  I know Long Beach in California, NJ and NY

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@004656364 wrote:

Does anyone know if I can talk to verizon and exchange the STB for one that works or what I can do to fix the current harddrive issues.  Any more info you need to help I can provide.  Thanks

The first thing VZ phone support will probably do is reload the firmware in your box and see if that fixes it.  Do you happen to know if you just got the 1.8 update?  Some have reported failed updates that in some way or another bricked their DVR.

0 Likes

I just checked my firmware and it says 1.8 release.  Do you think there is a chance the update affected my DVR and this is what caused all my recordings to vanish, and all my new recordings to skip and freeze? And I am in Long Beach CA to the other poster

0 Likes
zich61
Contributor - Level 1

If I were you, unless you already have the QIP7232 500GB STB, I'd call customer service and demand a service call.  The 7232 is a big improvement and in the DC area, it;s all the techs carry.  It shouldn't be a problem to snag one.

0 Likes

To update everyone on my situation, I called Verizon on Sunday and after trouble shooting they agreed to mail me a replacement dvr stb....it arrived yesterday and I hooked it up and installed it.  (It was the same older model and could tell it was probably refurbished because of a couple scratches. But I didn't care I just wanted to watch TV again.)  Unfortunately about 5 minutes after completing the setup the new box turned itself off and reset back to the standby menu.  Everytime I would turn it on it would turn itself off 1-2 minutes later.  A completely new problem than the other box.  I called Verizon 3 times last night going through different troubleshooting methods that would add an extra few minutes before shutting off.  At this point by the end of the 3rd call they agreed to send a tech out to our house today.  The tech was extremely friendly and understanding.  He looked at the box do its shutout trick and knew it was a bad box and not any cables or connection.  He had a new QIP7000 model with a 2x bigger harddrive in his truck (like someone above mentioned) and hooked it up, installed and got us back up.  I was patient thru the entire process because I have had fios for over 2 years and have never had an issue before knew it would work itself out.  Thanks everyone for your help

0 Likes