external hard drives greater than 2TB?
neilnow

I'm looking to purchase a new external hard drive for my DVR.  I'm of the opinion that the more capacity, the better, especially since it seems you can't transfer shows off an external hard drive once you sync it to a particular DVR.  Looking through the threads, it seems that the DVRs wouldn't recognize the additional capacity of any external hard drives beyond 2TB.  I had been planning on buying a 4TB drive, but now it's looking like that would be a waste of money.  However, almost all of the posts on this seem to be 1-3 years old.  Has anybody had any recent success in using an external hard drive that is larger than 2TB?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: external hard drives greater than 2TB?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

As far as I know the 2TB limit is still in the DVR software and there may be a physical limit of addressing capability in the Moto boxes.  I haven't tried anything over the 2 TB and the physical adress issue is an assumption.

You are aware that you can pair more than 1 external drive (obviously not at the same time) and swap them to get more storage.

0 Likes
Re: external hard drives greater than 2TB?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

They acknowledged someone's suggestion for changing the limit, but never said if it was a physical limit because of hardware, or that they just haven't upgraded the software to support it.

0 Likes