fios vs cablevision?
muller665

how does it compare? hd quality? internet speed? i live in nyc and i might switch.

thaks for any reply

0 Likes
Re: fios vs cablevision?
nlk10010
Enthusiast - Level 2

Boy, have you come to the right place! 🙂

I used to have Dish and CV (Internet/TV/Phone). I now have Dish and FIOS (Internet/TV/Phone).

I know this is the TV forum but, at least in my location, the internet is light-years better with FIOS, so much so that even if the other two su***d I'd have switched. There is simply no comparison. I just could not operate with CV "Internet", which would drop to 2/1 (download/upload) with changes in the weather, despite calling CV and alerting them numerous times.

Quality of TV on FIOS is, as you might expect, far superior to that on CV. Selection of HD channels is, funny enough, far superior on CV. Customer service/billing on CV, likewise, blows Verizon out of the water. I NEVER had a problem with CV's billing; with Verizon, problem from the get-go, so much that I wince when my FIOS bill gets here.

Cost is probably better with CV, as they are dying for customers, especially "winbacks" from FIOS. I know they called me right after I switched trying to get me to switch back with attractive offers but I told the guy that his best bet was to tell his bosses to pay attention to areas where CV Internet nodes were saturated; I simply could't operate with their speeds (and I also told him they need to get BBC-A, but that's another matter).

Installation with CV is of course also much simpler.

It really depends on what's important to you. If you don't need fast Internet and you don't have HD (or are not picky about the quality) then CV is likely to be simpler, cheaper, and the HD stations (except for BBC-A) simply blow away Verizon FIOS.

0 Likes
muller665

thanks for  your insights.

0 Likes
nlk10010
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, you're quite welcome. Venting here is therapy for me. 🙂

I should just add the following: CV Internet might not be saturated where you're located or you might be able to get a DOCSIS 3 modem, so YMMV regarding OOL suitability.

As far as national HD channel selection goes, again, CV beats FIOS with a stick. But CV quality, except on certain channels (e.g. MSG-HD) is terrible compared to FIOS.

0 Likes