iPhone FiOS remote control app -- "Error: No Device Found" -- install help??
cappaberra
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been hunting around on Google as well as talking to FiOS tech support, but no one seems to have the answer yet -- I'm having trouble setting up my iPhone 3G as a remote control for the FiOS TV functions -- this is NOT the DVR remote app (which manages DVR content).  Going through the "Remote Control" widget on the TV, and following the instructions the TV generates an "authorization PIN" to be entered into the iPhone app... When I go into the app, following the prompts, I put in the PIN, but the app comes back with "Error: No Device Found" with options to refresh or reset the PIN (enter a different one).

For the most part, I've been reading people don't have this problem, but have also found a handful of folks ran into this issue -- why am I unlucky in this case?  🙂

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iPhone FiOS remote control app -- "Error: No Device Found" -- install help??
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nope ... you have to be on the same subnet (192.168.1.x) not just on the same network.   You must have NAT router handling your wireless instead of using the wireless in the Verizon wireless.   If you want to do that, you need to connect the router in "access point" mode and be on the same subnet.

There is bidirectional communication required between the STB's and the iPhone and a NAT router will block part of that communication.

View solution in original post

Re: iPhone FiOS remote control app -- "Error: No Device Found" -- install help??
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The iPhone must be connected via Wifi to your home network (the same network that the STB's are connected to) in order for this function to work.   You can not use the 3G network for this to function.

0 Likes
cappaberra
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yup. It is.  I can ping my STB/DVR (192.168.1.100) from my iPhone (192.168.2.153).

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nope ... you have to be on the same subnet (192.168.1.x) not just on the same network.   You must have NAT router handling your wireless instead of using the wireless in the Verizon wireless.   If you want to do that, you need to connect the router in "access point" mode and be on the same subnet.

There is bidirectional communication required between the STB's and the iPhone and a NAT router will block part of that communication.

cappaberra
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the nudge in the right direction -- I discovered that my Ethernet and Coax interfaces on the router were NOT bridged -- they were acting as two routed interfaces, obviously not allowing this app to run.  Doing this to bridge the interfaces fixed the issue:

In the connection list, click on "Network (Home/Office)", and then click on the "Settings" button. You will see a list of interfaces under "Bridge". Check the box next to the "Coax", and then check the box under the STP column. Apply these settings.

I had to reboot the router and the STB.

Everything's working as expected now!  Thanks!!

0 Likes
FireFish1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@lasagna wrote:

The iPhone must be connected via Wifi to your home network (the same network that the STB's are connected to) in order for this function to work.   You can not use the 3G network for this to function.

Let me clarify what you said above;

For this app to actually work, your device must connect to the Verizon FiOS Router's WiFi.

The obvious issue is that many 'power' users like myself disabled the wireless feature on Verizon's router from day 1 & use my own Wireless Router (Apple 2TB Time Capsule) for an 802.11n network.

My WiFi is 100X better than the wifi that piece of garbage router can produce.

Starting with the encryption: My FiOS router seemed to only allow WEP encryption, ASCII or HEX.

I couldn't believe that they're this 'un-evolved'. Everyone knows that WPA or WPA2 is by far much better than WEP.

In any event, after hearing this conclusion elsewhere as well, I am very disappointed at how Verizon could have actually planned & executed the development and rollout of this Remote application so poorly. This is a huge problem that resides in the app's core foundation.

I could have even written this app better for them. I really hope that they're not paying fulltime developers for this 'fecal matter' called Remote App because if they are, something is very wrong.

I will however say that their DVR App is actually terrific.

In conclusion, if you don't understand what I'm talking about, then move along. If you do, please voice your opinion because I refuse to believe that they can't do this app the right way for my fees paid every month of over $200+.

0 Likes
cappaberra
Enthusiast - Level 1

@FireFish wrote:

@lasagna wrote:

For this app to actually work, your device must connect to the Verizon FiOS Router's WiFi.

Assuming you read my post and assuming your a "power user", you don't have to use the Verizon FiOS Router's wireless functionality -- I don't.  You must bridge the Coax interface (what the STB uses for IP communications) and the Ethernet/LAN interface together... I'm expecting/assuming that you have your Access Point hanging off of a LAN Ethernet port, right?  That's how I have it set up.  It's working as I expected it to once bridged those two interfaces.

Hope this helps... And, no, it's not "fecal matter" ... it's a really cool mobile app (once you get it working).  🙂

0 Likes
FireFish1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@cappaberra wrote:

@FireFish wrote:

@lasagna wrote:

Assuming you read my post and assuming your a "power user", you don't have to use the Verizon FiOS Router's wireless functionality -- I don't.  You must bridge the Coax interface (what the STB uses for IP communications) and the Ethernet/LAN interface together... I'm expecting/assuming that you have your Access Point hanging off of a LAN Ethernet port, right?  That's how I have it set up.  It's working as I expected it to once bridged those two interfaces.

Hope this helps... And, no, it's not "fecal matter" ... it's a really cool mobile app (once you get it working).  🙂

@I got it working, and essentially now have 2 wireless networks @ home. The new one is used only when I want to make my iPhone the TV remote, which is annoying to switch between networks.

Yes, you are correct with your setup, but you'd need to use NAT, which I'm sure you are doing. Unfortunately, this isn't an option I'd consider adding to my network for this remote app to work.

As far as the 'feces' goes, I stand by it. Aside from these simple connectivity design flaws, the app UI & coding frameworks its running on are far from 'solid engineering'. You can clearly tell that two completely different teams made their DVR App vs. this Remote App. And this I say from experience as I have a handful of popular apps in iTunes App store myself.

If I had to guess, I'd bet a kid made the Remote app as a side project at work (at Verizon), and it developed into what they tried making it.

You can't argue with results and this app has endless posts of frustration and disappointment, my friend. You are one of the lucky ones, but I've been seeing far too many disgruntled customers.

0 Likes
cappaberra
Enthusiast - Level 1

@FireFish wrote:

@I got it working, and essentially now have 2 wireless networks @ home. The new one is used only when I want to make my iPhone the TV remote, which is annoying to switch between networks.

Yes, you are correct with your setup, but you'd need to use NAT, which I'm sure you are doing. Unfortunately, this isn't an option I'd consider adding to my network for this remote app to work.

Nope, no NAT.  You don't need to translate any addresses when it's all one broadcast domain / one subnet.  I have one network for my LAN:  192.168.2.0/24 ... I have an AP plugged into an LAN ethernet port, effectively working as a wireless bridge.  The FiOS router serves up IP addresses via DHCP for that subnet.  The STB is one of those DHCP clients and my wireless devices are additional DHCP clients in that same subnet.  No need for NAT'ing!

Hope that helps ...  If you need more of a thorough explanation of my network topology, I'd be happy to help.

0 Likes
AlexNJ

::::Assuming you read my post and assuming your a "power user", you don't have to use the Verizon FiOS Router's wireless functionality -- I don't.  You must bridge the Coax interface (what the STB uses for IP communications) and the Ethernet/LAN interface together... I'm expecting/assuming that you have your Access Point hanging off of a LAN Ethernet port, right?  That's how I have it set up.  It's working as I expected it to once bridged those two interfaces.::::

Hello.

THis is my setup also. How do you " bridge the Coax interface and the Ethernet/LAN interface together"?

Is this physical, or is this done via the router's web interface? If the later, I do not know how to access the FiOS-provided router--it has been made a third-class citizen on my network. The FiOs ethernet coming from the wall goes directly to my AirPort Extreme doling out NAT 10.0.1.X. The FiOS router hangs of this.

THanks for the help.

Alex

0 Likes