number of hours of HD viewing
mjgave1

I have a new Motorola 7216 DVR and am wondering how many hours of HD can be stored on the DVR?

Also do the items stored ever expire or do they get deleted after watching them once? I am a DVR newbie.

0 Likes
Re: number of hours of HD viewing
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

You can get approximately 20 hours of HD, 80 hours of SD or some mix of each.  If you have IMG version 1.9 and add an external eSATA drive you can add up to 2 TB (internal drive is the 7216 is 160 GB).  This would give you up to 12 times the storage (240 to 250 hours of HD).

Technically the recordings don't expire, but if space is needed to record new shows the DVR can delete existing recordings starting with the oldest.  Items are not deleted by just watching them.  It rerqures action on your part to delete.

0 Likes
HDfanJoe

My neighbor seems to have twice the memory on her drive as I have on mine (20 hours HD).  She started later and when she had trouble with her DVR, it was replaced with one with more capacity.  Mine is always almost full and sometimes recordings are replaced before I have a chance to protect them.

i would like a higher capacity DVR but I don't want to pay for it because I have been a loyal customer for years more than my neighbor, and because it doesn't seem fair to me.  Even if I had more capacity, I would want to know how to add the external drive.  WHere do you get it and how much does it cost?

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@HDfanJoe wrote:

My neighbor seems to have twice the memory on her drive as I have on mine (20 hours HD).  She started later and when she had trouble with her DVR, it was replaced with one with more capacity.  Mine is always almost full and sometimes recordings are replaced before I have a chance to protect them.

i would like a higher capacity DVR but I don't want to pay for it because I have been a loyal customer for years more than my neighbor, and because it doesn't seem fair to me.  Even if I had more capacity, I would want to know how to add the external drive.  WHere do you get it and how much does it cost?

I know of no DVR that has twice the recording space (see my comment later about the 7232).

Without more information your question can't be answered.  First and foremost pleaase indicate the model of DVR that you have.  If it is a QIP-6416 then it is not expandable.  If it is a 7216 then it is.

That expansion is done by adding an eSATA drive to the box.  The WD MyBook AVR models have been "approved" by Verizon and tested by many.  These are typically 1 TB drives that will give you around 100 hours of HD.  Keep in mind that due to the flooding in Thailand that the price of hard drives has skyrocketed and this add-on (at your expense and if it fails your responsibility to replace) will currently cost upwards of $150.  You can build your own drive / enclosure combination at your own peril. - the DVR will support up to a 2 TB drive.

The QIP-7232 has a 500 GB drive (a little over 3 times the size of the 6416 or 7216 at 160 GB) and is offered by Verizon for a 1 time upgrade fee of $49.95 and all failures are the resopnsibility of Verizon to fix.

You decide which option is "cheaper" for you in the long run.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Did they up the upgrade price?  It was $39.99.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@tns wrote:

Did they up the upgrade price?  It was $39.99.

No, just a faulty memory on my part.  Mea Culpa.

0 Likes