? on addding another STB
Tommy76
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had fios yrs back wired in the house...then i switched back to cablevision now im back with fios...the box i want to add is in a room where there was a box yrs back when i had fios then that room had a box with cablevision also

but when i just got fios installed again i didnt get a box in that room but now I need one there...I want to just pick up a box and install my self but how do I know if its cablevisions or fios wire still in there...any chance they would of used the same wire if it was up to date

is there anyway I can figure out if its a fios or cablevision coax run, its on a 2nd level so its hard to see what outside splitter its coming from

0 Likes
Re: ? on addding another STB
mleduc35651
Contributor - Level 2

Only 2 ways to check that I can think of.

Follow the cable runs from the ont and see how it splits and if there are unused cables near the splitters.

Odds are both companies just hooked into the existing cable runs at the beginning and it would work.

Other option is to move your existing STB to that room and test it.

0 Likes
Tommy76
Enthusiast - Level 2

duh lol good idea...going to move an STB in there now lol

yea im guessing they both used the same feed...i vaguely remember them saying existing wire were up to standards and whatnot

0 Likes
Tommy76
Enthusiast - Level 2

one more quick question....currently I have 1 multi room dvr and 3 HD STB's that can view from the multi room dvr

will the multi room dvr be able to add one more HD STB to the equation...im guessing yes but just want to make sure of the limit

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

The limit for the number of stb's in a house is 7 (full functional stb's, not counting digital adaptors)

The MRDVR can talk to any full size box. But it will be limited how many it can talk to at the same time.  I think its limit is 3 at the same time. So if you have 4 tv's all going at the same time, only 3 of them can talk to the dvr. But as long as your not using all the tv's at the same time, then 7 is your limit.

0 Likes