tivo only records the Fios screen saver. how to turn it off?
landwit

when i turn my tv on i get the black verizon fios screen saver.   when i use tivo to record a show, it records this screen saver only and not the show.  is there a way to fix this?  thanks

0 Likes
Re: tivo only records the Fios screen saver. how to turn it off?
VZ_Christian
Contributor - Level 2

@landwit wrote:

when i turn my tv on i get the black verizon fios screen saver.   when i use tivo to record a show, it records this screen saver only and not the show.  is there a way to fix this?  thanks

landwit,

Since you are not using a CableCARD for decrypting the FiOS channels, you are relying on the FiOS Set-Top Box (STB) to do the decryption.  Because of this, the Tivo will only record what the STB is outputting (think in terms of a VCR recording what you are currently watching).

There are two solutions regarding the FiOS/Tivo setup:

1. You will have to be vigilant in making sure the FiOS STB is powered on and tuned to the channel that you would like to record.
  2. You can use a Tivo that utilizes CableCARDs for decryption (this will eliminate the need for a FiOS STB all-together)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Chris

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/tivo-only-records-the-Fios-screen-saver-ho...

The screen saver can be disabled through the STB menu.

Details and instructions at the link above.  possible duplicate thread.

0 Likes
VZ_Christian
Contributor - Level 2

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/tivo-only-records-the-Fios-screen-saver-ho...

The screen saver can be disabled through the STB menu.

Details and instructions at the link above.  possible duplicate thread.

By doing that and not addressing the above issues, they will wind up recording a black screen instead of a screensaver.  This does not address the issue that the Tivo in its current setup requires the tuner of the STB to be turned on in order to record content.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If a screensaver comes on it assumes that the box is on, the box has to be on for the screen saver to pick up.  If the assumption is incorrect and the OP Thinks that he can turn off the STB then yes you would be correct, I may be assuming too much, but it would stand to reason that the STB is on and going to screensaver when a period of time has expired like screensavers do.

In general yes, turn on your STB get a picture, do not turn OFF the stb, turn off only the tv if you want to save power, and ensure the screensaver is off.    record at your leisure.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

well let me ask a question, is the Standby message considered a screensaver?     I thought that there was an additional screensaver in the STB,.   if I was wrong about that, that would be where my error came into play.  

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

If a screensaver comes on it assumes that the box is on, the box has to be on for the screen saver to pick up.  If the assumption is incorrect and the OP Thinks that he can turn off the STB then yes you would be correct, I may be assuming too much, but it would stand to reason that the STB is on and going to screensaver when a period of time has expired like screensavers do.

In general yes, turn on your STB get a picture, do not turn OFF the stb, turn off only the tv if you want to save power, and ensure the screensaver is off.    record at your leisure.

The STB screensaver does not engage when the STB is on.  It is an option that can be set for when the box is off.  The utility of this is that when the STB is turned off, the TV will still show the screensaver, alerting the TV owner that they left the TV on.  Without the screensaver being on, when the STB is turned off the TV will have a black screen even though the TV itself might be on, which is not exactly a good situation for long periods of time.

0 Likes