using VCR with Fios?
elsquared9193

Can anyone tell me how to connect a VCR to a Fios STB?  The STB uses a coax cable only as an input - the output to TV is different, almost like a USB.  I tried the standard A/V connections, but they don't work.  Am I correct in thinking that I need one of those digital converter units?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: using VCR with Fios?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The VCR doesn't need to connect to the STB. You connect the VCR directly to the TV with coax of RCA cables (yellow/red/white).

If you connect the VCR with coax then change your TV to the "TV" input and the picture will be on channel 3 or 4. 

If using RCA cables you will use the A/V, Video, or Composite input on the TV. The input name will be one of those depending on the TV. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The VCR doesn't need to connect to the STB. You connect the VCR directly to the TV with coax of RCA cables (yellow/red/white).

If you connect the VCR with coax then change your TV to the "TV" input and the picture will be on channel 3 or 4. 

If using RCA cables you will use the A/V, Video, or Composite input on the TV. The input name will be one of those depending on the TV. 

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@elsquared9193 wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to connect a VCR to a Fios STB?  The STB uses a coax cable only as an input - the output to TV is different, almost like a USB.  I tried the standard A/V connections, but they don't work.  Am I correct in thinking that I need one of those digital converter units?

Edg1 has the connection from the VCR to the TV correct. You use the AV outs on the VCR (yellow, white, red) to connect to the TVs AV in and select the AV input on the TV. You use the AV outs from the Fios box to connect to the VCR AV inputs, and select AV in on the VCR as input source. Whatever the Fios box is tuned to is what you'll see from the VCR. You wont be able to use the tuner in the VCR. That USB looking connector on the Fios box is HDMI.

elsquared9193

The A/V connections are OK, but I still don't get a signal.  It's a new TV, so I've checked the input selection on there as well, but still no good.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you don't mind sending pictures of the VCR and TV connections we will be able to help.