Spontaneous shutdown?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

We've had the Ellipsis 8 since Christmas, and it's adequate for what we use it for (Kindle reading, Solitaire, Kids Zone for grandkids to play on, email, etc).  In the past week it's spontaneously shut down twice.  In the middle of a game, or when the grandkids are using it, it just goes black, and I have to press the power and volume down together for at least 15 seconds or so (seems like forever!) before it reboots.  Simply pressing the power button, even for a LONG time, does nothing.

It is charged (this morning it was at 80% or more when it happened), it's been on our home wifi with a solid connection both times, and it's frustrating to have to reboot.  Why does it completely shut down?  Has anyone else had this happen?

0 Likes
Re: Spontaneous shutdown?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
SuzyQ,  We don't want you to have to deal with random shut downs! Has there been any recent updates, either software or apps, on the device? Have you tested it out in Safe Mode to see if the shut downs still happen http://spr.ly/6-172mYh
0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

The apps are continually updating - 2, 3 or more per day it seems. The updates get installed automatically when I am on wifi.  So, the answer to your first question is yes, there have been recent updates to apps.

I have not put the tablet in safe mode, as the shut downs have been sporadic and intermittent - it may be another week before it happens again ...

0 Likes
veedubrob

Suzy I am also having the same problem. I have already taken the first one back to Verizon and had it replaced less than one week after I got it. It has now begun to happen with the replacement. I have deleted everything and factory reset it twice now with no luck on stopping this from happening. You and others having this problem should do what I am going to do again and take it back to Verizon and have them replace the tablet. I also have a question for you. Do you have any problems with charging it? Do you have to mess with the cord to get it to start charging? If you move it does it stop charging until you mess with the cord again?

0 Likes
subfred

I find it very frustrating that it shuts down on the run and

I have contemplated returning it. is there a fix?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

veedubrob wrote:

I also have a question for you. Do you have any problems with charging it? Do you have to mess with the cord to get it to start charging? If you move it does it stop charging until you mess with the cord again?

No problems with charging and the battery life is adequate.  I'm not sure I want to take it back and start over for these intermittent shut downs; I was more curious if it was just me or if the issue was more widespread. 

It's frustrating for my grandson (3 yrs old) when he's playing a game and it goes black on him!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
SuzyQ,  That's all great information to know. That nothing happens when you push just the power button tells us a lot. The tablet isn't actually shutting down, it is freezing. The two button combination cuts off the battery power briefly and is like removing the battery on a device that can do so. That lets the tablet turn back on and get back to working. This shouldn't be happening often at all though. When this happens, is there a common app or game that is being used or running in the background? Can you think of anything that was downloaded or updated right about the time this started?  AndrewT_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
0 Likes
_FloppyEarRacing

Mine continuously shuts down. Every half an hour or so, it just reboots on its own.

It even rebooted twice in the Verizon store over the weekend.

I've factory reset it twice, keeps rebooting.

Uninstalled apps, keeps rebooting.

This truly is a horrible piece of equipment. But guess what Verizon won't let me replace it. So it will either get smashed to pieces, or become an expensive paperweight.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
@FloppyEarRacing,

We want to make sure your tablet works the way it should. That's incredibly important. When you did the resets, did you try not installing any apps back initially? When you removed the apps, was that all of them or only certain ones? Can we try the device in safe mode http://vz.to/1E9lgVu and see if it runs better?

AndrewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
_FloppyEarRacing

I've had this expensive paperweight for over a month now, and have done all

of these things numerous times. It does not provide any relief. I've asked

for a repair/ replacement (that was 4 days ago), and have not heard a

response.

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 12:59 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes