Will using Google Voice to make calls use data?
Shardsofmyinsanity

I am waiting on the delivery of my Ellipsis 7 tablet and was wondering if using Google Voice to make phone calls would count against the data plan for my account of if it counts under the minutes.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Ellipsis 7 with Google Voice
rcschnoor
Legend

Shardsofmyinsanity wrote:

My only major concern over the tablet is whether or not GV will go under data for calls.

I'm not sure whether or not you completely understand what Ann154 is trying to say. The tablet is a "data only" device. It DOES NOT use, or have access to, any minutes on the Verizon network. IF you can use GV to make calls over the data network, it would use data. If you cannot use GV to make calls over the data network, then you would not be able to use GV to make calls on the tablet.

If you are unable to make calls with GV, you could always try Magic Jack. I have used it to make calls on my Nexus 7 which is a wifi only tablet.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The tablet is a data only device. Not even a good tablet either. Did you order this under contract or full retail price?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Shardsofmyinsanity

To be honest I am not overly worried about how good the tablet is.  Unlike most my expectations for the device are rather simple.  I will mainly be using it to get me away from my stationary computer setup for reading, some music, and a little bit of communication when away from the house when necessary.  Since I was able to get it free under my two year I'm not really picky about the performance since anything is going to be better than my little IPod Touch 3rd gen with a battery life span of about 2 hours under constant use.

My only major concern over the tablet is whether or not GV will go under data for calls.  It would be nice to occasionally make phone calls where needed since I do not own a cell phone and don't wish to add one to the account.  I also don't want to use up my data plan unexpectedly and have a nasty surprise waiting for me at the end of the month.  While I already monitor the data on the account it is tedious to have to go in ever few days or so to make sure it isn't used up.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You might want to be considered when you can't install any other applications when the app storage space is practically full out of the box.

I don't use Google Voice to know if it will do data calls. Hangouts will do video calls over data.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Shardsofmyinsanity

Removing apps from a device to make room for the few that I actually require is no hardship and installing new apps to a MicroSD card is fairly easy to do if not time consuming.  I read up on the Ellipsis 7 before deciding I would actually take it and am aware of its faults.  I simply weighed those faults against what I really expect and need in a mobile device.  Since I'm getting the device essentially free I'm not going to nitpick every last issue with the device that others are having or gripe about the lack of and decent internal storage.  I'm fully aware that its going to be a few hours of setup and migrating apps and I'm fine with that.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Shardsofmyinsanity wrote:

My only major concern over the tablet is whether or not GV will go under data for calls.

I'm not sure whether or not you completely understand what Ann154 is trying to say. The tablet is a "data only" device. It DOES NOT use, or have access to, any minutes on the Verizon network. IF you can use GV to make calls over the data network, it would use data. If you cannot use GV to make calls over the data network, then you would not be able to use GV to make calls on the tablet.

If you are unable to make calls with GV, you could always try Magic Jack. I have used it to make calls on my Nexus 7 which is a wifi only tablet.

0 Likes