Re: why is Ellipsis 8 so slow
dlevitt
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was under the impression that an SD card would only increase file storage.  Are you saying that if I were to add an SD card, the "working Ram" would increase and possibly speed up the tablet?  I thought that running RAM and Storage RAM were completely different.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dlevitt, you are correct in know that a SD memory card provides extra storage which can free up room on your device. RAM (random access memory) is something that is only on the device itself, not something a memory card can provide. The memory card provides the storage and relief to allow the device to have more room so that it can work more efficiently.

NatashaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dlevitt
Enthusiast - Level 3

So... The device RAM is responsible for the speed.  The SD card is for storage and will not change device speed?  Is that correct?

Even so, I found an 8 GB SD card and installed it.  On other devices, I am able to move certain applications to the SD card.  It doesn't appear that you can do this on the ellipsis.  Am I doing something wrong?  Would this even matter since I haven't loaded a lot of applications or music in the device?

Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

These are all great question dlevitt, and we have answers. The number one cause of a sluggish table is not enough space. If this is the case on your device because of picture storage, contact storage, or even videos, saving all this to an SD card can help your tablets performance. I do apologize though, you are not able to save application to an SD card on your tablet. If you to into settings > storage, how much to do you have available?

JorgeO_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
dlevitt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here are my storage settings.

Total 16gb.  6.57 gb available

Apps...3.34gb

Pictures..168kb

Audio..204kb

Downloads..28.9mb

Cached data ..17.06mb

Misc..5.96gb

SD card total space. .7.70gb

Available. .7.70gb

dlevitt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Full disclosure...

I clear the cache every few days, have uninstalled or disabled applications that aren't used much, and only use 1 browser tab at a time.

Performance is much better, but I shouldn't need to operate this device this way.  Looking back, this free device wasn't the right choice for me.  I should Have paid for a better product.

Also, what's the point of having an SD card if you can't get apps and data to transfer?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Those are fantastic steps to take on your tablet, dlevitt. All that effort helps to ensure the 1GB of RAM on the device is free to avoid slowness and keep the device performance at its peak. Keep in mind that RAM is not something that can be expanded even with the use of an SD card and is separate from the memory alloted for downloads and media. RAM is used more by applications running and the breadcrumbs or Cache left behind. In addition to those steps you mentioned, making sure applications aren't running in the background when not in use http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-122987 is a good step.

The inability to move applications to the SD card is actually a default function of the Android software. There may be a few applications that will offer a "move to SD card" functionality through Apps > Settings > Application Manager. If the option is unlocked for that particular application, you'll see the move option after tapping the app from the All list on this screen.

JenniferH_VZW

0 Likes
Dookistan
Enthusiast - Level 1

It's slow because it is running low 2014 specs (build date). 1 gig of ram and 16 internal is a joke in modern tablets. This is being sold as a new tablet and is actually over 2 years old. having to constantly clear the cache to make it run is a sign of this. I have one for work and it is dang near useless. Tap an app, wait, it opens, tap an action, wait, ect. I have removed or frozen all apps I don't use and it is just slow. My other tablet is a Note 8, 3 years old, and while it is slowing down it still outperforms this tablet.

This tablet should sell for no more that $150 out the door, it's blatantly overpriced for what you get.

WB04431
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is junk.  If you still have 30 days, take it back.  It is awful and not worth keeping, you can do nothing with it and Verizon lies to you when they sell you the thing.  Don't sign up for Verizon, they sell you junk like this and defection of customers is what they should expect.

Derrick3623
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mine is slow as heck too. Think the device is just garbage because I have like 2 apps and nothing else other than the standard apps that came installed and blahhhhhh...😕

0 Likes