Receiving international SMS
kamileon

So my problem is Im in the United Arab Emirates on business.  While here I cannot use my VZW phone, its all GSM networks here and my Galaxy Nexus is CDMA, so I have a phone I purchased from the local cell phone company.  When I send a text message to my wife (also on VZW) she does not get them, however when she sends them to me I do get them.  Figuring it was an issue here with the local carrier I called them and they said the messages are being sent, its an issue with the receiving carrier.  Also read tons of similar posts with others having the same issue no answers.  So does anyone have a solution to this?  Anyone from VZW reading this have an answer?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Receiving international SMS
budone
Legend

How are you sending the message? ten digit only? Also you may have premium texts blocked on your account at home as texts from overseas will cost per text received

0 Likes
kamileon

I am sending the messages with the proper country code and exit code, the same way I use to call home, and I know that works because I am able to talk to people.  And I dont have premium texts/messaging blocked, I checked that already.  Besides that doesnt apply to regular texts, only premium services like weather alerts and what not.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Are you able to hit reply to one of her texts and have your reply make it back??? If not, I would suspect then the issue is on VZW side

0 Likes
Guaporamirez

I am having the same issue, my friend lives in Dubai and she receives my messages but I can't get hers, she can call me just fine and I can call her so it's not an issue with proper formating of the number. I've called twice to Verizon and they tell me that they can't see an issue and that it may be the local carrier (etisalat). I tested this theory and had her text another friend at his ATT number and he got the messages just fine after reading many posts on the web it appears that it is Verizon and not the other carriers. As of yet they have not given me a satisfactory explanation as to why this is happening.

0 Likes
kamileon

This is exactly my issue, as Im on Etisalat as well.  Ive called verizon several times now about this hoping maybe someone different can give me an answer.  The last guy I spoke with transferred me to global tech support.  Global tech support told me the issue was between them and Etisalat, that they did not have a contract/agreement with Etisalat for messaging.  Verizon does list the United Arab Emirates on there international page as a participating country.  So because there are only 2 cell phone providers here, Etisalat and DU, Im going to switch to the other provider, DU, and see if it works.  Perhaps you should tell your friend in Dubai to do the same thing.  My phone, as all phones here, is sim unlocked and a prepaid sim is very cheap just to try out.  I will post my results here.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello from the US Kamileon!

I love how convinient text messages are so we need to get this working for you right away! It is possible that your wifes line needs to have the International Dialing capability added to her line.  I know she can send to you, but she's not receiving, so it sounds strange, but that would be the first thing I would check. 

Also, review this chart for messaging:
http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/Text_Messaging/view_all_countries.html

There's only 2 providers who are able to message successfully. Hopefully one of them is the one you're using.

Keep in mind we have 24/7 Global support available. They can be reached by dialing 001-908-559-4899. 

If you cannot place a call from your VZW device, please call Global Support toll-free from any landline phone using these instructions.

Dial the toll-free access code for the country you are in. UAE Dial Access Code: 0-800-111  

After the tone, enter your Verizon Wireless calling card number and PIN. (Calling Card Number: 9085594899 PIN: 2392)

After the tone enter 0-908-559-4899.

The VZW Global Roaming Hotline will then prompt you to enter your 10-digit mobile number.

I hope this is helpful! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

MelissaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Guaporamirez! I know it's important to stay in touch w/friends from another country! I want you to be able to both send and receive messages from your friend in Dubai. I have supplied a link from our international support page, to make sure you are entering the digits correctly. This link also shows the cost. Keep in mind this is when sending while in the US. http://bit.ly/SwCdpF Please try this and let me know how it works out for you!

Thanks in advance,

Christina B
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Guaporamirez

Christina,

Thanks for the reply, I have given up on trying to use my verizon phone to communicate with friends overseas as your system is riddled with problems. Based on other people I have spoken to and the forums the problem is with Verizon. I had my friends change SIM cards with one of the only two carriers in UAE, change phones, update, reprogram all to no avail. I have reprogrammed, reset, wiped and reinstalled the OS on my iPhone and still I can't receive messages from the UAE. I have even spoken to the carriers in the UAE and they told me that it is normal for people who have Verizon as a carrier to not receive messages. I hope you guys correct this soon for the sake of your customers.

v/r

Oskar Ramirez

0 Likes
Receiving international SMS
Guaporamirez

Did you ever get this fixed?

0 Likes