Where does messages get it's contacts from on a PC?
MYCCOP
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am unable to add or remove my contacts to the messages on a PC. Some strange subset of contacts shows up on the list.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Where does messages get it's contacts from on a PC?
jav6
Champion - Level 3

The Message+ app on my PC has a contact list that matches that on my Droid Turbo 2 phone.  I believe this is a result of the Sync'ing.  What kind of phone is linked to the Message+ app on your PC?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
MYCCOP
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an Android phone, but my contacts never came over. My windows contacts don't match the app. Only GOD knows where these contacts are coming from?

jav6
Champion - Level 3

I just added a contact in the Message+ app on my PC and after Sync'ing, it did NOT show up on my phone's contact list.  Also, the reverse, adding a new contact to my phone's contact list and starting/stopping/sync'ing the Message+ app on my PC does NOT show the newly added contact in my phones' list.  It could be that the contact list is imported from the phone at the time the Message+ app is installed on the PC and Sync'ed for the first time.

jav6
Champion - Level 3

The contact list on my PC actually matches an old version on my phone and not the current contact list.  It isn't Sync'ing the contact list from my phone.  Apparently it is getting the list from somewhere my old list was stored.  Maybe someone monitoring this forum can shed some light.

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

AHA!  I think I found where the Messages+ Contact List is coming from.  Log into My Verizon, hover over My Plan & Services, click on My Cloud Media and Contacts, select Contacts....Voila!  (I think)

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

Apparently, the Verizon Cloud app on the phone backs up the phones contact list to the Cloud and that is where the PC's Message+ app gets its Contact List.  I had stopped using the Cloud app on my phone since the free storage was going away, but the default non-subscription Cloud service will still back up Contacts from the phone. Trying to confirm that now by re-enabling the Cloud app.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MYCCOP,

I'm sorry to hear about the contact issue with your messages on your PC. I'll be happy to get this this fixed for you. jav6, did provide some great information about where these mystery contacts are coming from. Were you able to duplicate this too?

JuanD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's important to have the correct contact list, jav6. You are correct, you will see the current information from your Cloud app in your My Verizon account online in the My Contacts and Media section. If you are not seeing the right information in the PC app please remove and reinstall the program on your PC to update the information. There is a link for the desktop download at the top of this page: http://vz.to/2hU6Dn8 . Does this help?

LaurenC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
jav6
Champion - Level 3

LaurenC_VZW,

I have removed/installed the Message+ PC app multiple times on both my PC and Laptop.  I've added test contacts on my phone, backed up to the Cloud, deleted them from my phone and what shows in my contacts list on the PC or Laptop Message+ app is inconsistent.  It appears the PC app is getting the contacts info from somewhere and creating a Verizon.dat SQL database in the AppData>Roaming>Verizon>WinVMAClient>Data folder.  The information obtained contains old info (contact pictures and name). Wherever it is getting that from is not being kept in sync with the Cloud backup of contacts. When the PC app is uninstalled, these folders in the WinVMAClient are removed and recreated when the app is re-installed.