Is Verizon getting rid of Unlimited?
hambone1995
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just yesterday, the Device Payment Program was discontinued. Beginning 7/13/14, the Device Payment Program will no longer be available for new orders. If you’d like to purchase a new phone or tablet on an installment plan, you may be eligible to participate in our Verizon Edge program.
That only leaves paying full price, and Ebay/Swappa. Is this the beginning of the eradication of unlimited data?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon getting rid of Unlimited?
Gatack

I'm with you, I was just getting ready to use the Device payment program and of course it was nixed the week I wanted to do it.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

It could also simply be they are getting rid of a seldom used option to purchase a phone.

Not applicable

Where the carriers were offering ways to upgrade your device earlier. T-Mobile was the first with the Jump plan. Then AT&T came out with theirs and then Verizon offered Edge it was supposed to be *if* a customer wanted to purchase a new device sooner.

But using the Edge plan removed your unlimited data.

So because customers wanted to keep unlimited data there were o ly a few options. Buy at full price or buy from another source and just swap emeid/ESN on the old device to new.

Then Verizon came up with a marketing gimmick of the Device Payment Plan. It was to counter those that did not want or need Edge or could afford to make a one time payment to keep unlimited.

The problem then was the program was only at a corporate store, the stores would lie and now say it was for tablets only. Or the store personnel would lie and say the computer would not accept the code to put you on the device payment plan.

The basic issue is Verizon has used any legal trick or means to get people off the unlimited data plan. Change a device, lose it. Change your plan in any way, lose it. Some have said just call customer service for anything and it was removed from your account

Then people on the worry free guarantee state if they decided to not keep the new device and plan should be placed back to unlimited were now told not possible because Verizon does not offer unlimited any longer. But it should have reverted to your prior service per Verizon's own printed guarantee

Good Luck

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Device Payment Plan was available before the Edge program and was originally only for tablets. The store reps were likely going from old information. However that point is moot now with the option gone completely for new orders.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Not applicable

Elector wrote:

The basic issue is Verizon has used any legal trick or means to get people off the unlimited data plan.

They don't have to use ANY tricks. They could end unlimited data TODAY. legally. The fact unlimited data users would still get to keep it under ANY circumstances when it could be killed off NOW, they should be grateful.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

They are not going to. They want people to lock in not go away. There are still millions of users on unlimited data plans. I still believe roughly 15% of the smartphone customer base are still on unlimited plans. With over 50% of their customer base on smartphone that's a large number. Simply dropping the plan and people leaving because they did could drop from number 1 to number 2 overnight. Bad press and they could very well drop to number 3.

Not applicable

True that they don't need to use tricks now. However tricks were used way before they came up with a marketing gimmick, and then even after.

With two carriers offering unlimited data which in my opinion who have terrible coverage and Verizon grandfathered customers still retaining it at the buy at full price etc. it was to keep the unlimited data.

Now if the unlimited was to go away then there is no need to pay full price for devices so then Edge or contract sales would be the better choice. They would be the only choice.

Now if this was a Sprint issue lets say how the Unlimited for Life Guarantee which is in writing, the matter of loss would be a whole different matter. The plan gotchas are to never be late with your payments and a few others I cannot remember.

Good Luck

YouAreMyHeroBBBB

You really think they care?  How many do you think they lost from the people who accidentally lost their unlimited plan in the past from not being informed?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Then why does it matter if they got rid of it all at once.  Being uninformed is one thing and being removed altogether is another.

0 Likes